Notices

I'm new.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new.

Hello everyone, I just made an account. I'm in a situation that if I don't stop drinking my husband will probably leave me. I feel hopeless and alone, and am glad I found a place to talk to other people who may understand. I've been drinking for 10 years, and I'm 26 years old. I rely on alcohol to enjoy the situation I'm in and too relax. Without it I'm a grumpy mess. I really want to change my outlook on life and be able to live my life without this crutch that makes everything worse in the end. I wish I knew how to go about changing the way I think. I'm looking forward to reading other people's posts, and trying to help. I don't feel like I have emotions anymore. I lie to myself even in order to drink. What is going on? My husband thinks I don't love him and that alcohol is more important then he is. I don't want to put him through any more of this
Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey drunkfish and welcome to SR, you're in the right place

You certainly aren't alone in your fears, I was in the same situation with my ex partner and ultimately continued to drink/lie, ended up completely ruining it.

From my bouts of sobriety it really is so much easier than living whilst drinking. I don't have the stress of hangovers and where my next drink will come from now, I've found myself much less anxious.

Wish you all the best
Old 09-05-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the familly
Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi and welcome. thanks for your post, i could relate to many of the feelings and situations that you described.

the great, great news is that there is a solution. you can be free from the need to drink, and even from the desire to drink. you can do it. there are tons of resources available -- SR is great, I use AA, and there are other support programs as well (AVRT, RR, LifeRing, etc.).

all the best to you
Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

It’s good you see the problem now and do something about it. Reading a lot of posts here and getting involved in other active outside help programs definitely are a step in recovery. Most who recover need to be honest with themselves about their drinking and accept the fact that if they are alcoholic we cannot drink alcohol in safety.
Also important is that recovery, especially in the beginning, is selfish, we need to realize we are getting sober for ourselves FIRST. The other good things will follow with recovery.
Work is required for long lasting recovery to be effective but it’s worth every bit we put into it.

BE WELL
Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Drunkfish

I am a newbie too but in the 2 days I have been on this site and also going through withdrawal, I have read so many stories that are helping me get through!

I know you will get great support and inspiration from here.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Drunkfish! You are not alone. I completely understood everything you wrote about. Keep reading and posting. You can stop today.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey drunk fish, welcome.

As you will read one thing that we all on this site have in common is alcohol and our experiences. I have read many situations that I too or still am going through but the fact is until I make (or you) make a decision to change for you and your spouse the stories on here just are again common.

I have repeated the same things over and over with my spouse and y she stays is a higher power than I will ever have but she's worth not losing and I'm sure u are in the same situation. Look deep and decide where you will be and how happy in 5 or 10 years. I'm 41 and wish I would have opened my eyes at 26 and at least remembered most of the good times we shared the last 10 years.

Good luck it's not easy but you deserve it and deserve to be happy and sober!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello drunkfish