Notices

Finally Thursday

Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
birddog

Finally Thursday

I have 5 days but today is the real test as Thursdays are my binge days. To give you some perspective, last Thursday I woke up and actually said "yes, today I can drink" and then I proceeded to count the hours and minutes until I felt the lovely chilled bubbles of Prosecco on my lips, toungue and ultimately down my throat and the instant buzz that puts me in my happy place that is enroute to my crappy place. I actually know the time I had my first drink last Thursday, because on my way home I looked at the clock in my car and it said 5:25 and I said to myself "I will have a drink by 5:35, yes!" And at 5:35 I raised a glass to no one but myself and took the first sip. I will crave today, but I have a big event on Saturday that I must prepare for so I am unlikely to drink. I have been down this road before and I can keep it together when I know I need to feel good for affairs/events. Saturday will be a big test because of all of the hard work I am doing for this event - I am going to feel like I owe myself a drink on Saturday. That is going to be very tough to overcome. The good news is that my sister is coming for a one week visit beginning on Sunday, so that should be my incentive not to drink on Saturday. I want to feel good when she gets here, she has no issues with alcohol and she is always on the go. When I drink in her presence I always feel sooo inadequate. However, my family will be getting together throughout the week and alcohol will be an honored guest so I am very worried about that especially since I have a hard time dealing with my family when I am sober. A lot of times I will drink at family events to help me through the boredom, stress, drama, etc. I have to draw on the wisdom that I have acquired here in such a short period of time. I have to remember HALT. I have to remember why I am here and I have to remember how horrible I felt the day I came here. But I am grateful that I have a grip on things for today and I do not feel like I will drink. Take that AV. Best of luck to everyone today.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

5 days is amazing keep up the good work
Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can definitely get through it! Congrats on 5 days! That's really wonderful.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
birddog

I just checked my sober time and I actually have 6 days!!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job Birddog!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! You can do this!!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All those "buts" - rewards - consolations - habits - justifications - I hope you find a way to turn those thoughts around.

I had to want to get well more than I wanted to listen to that voice.

Great job on the almost week! Keep it going, it gets easier.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe you should stock up on a fizzy drink that you really like that's non-alcoholic, because you're going to want to drink something tonight! Before I quite drinking, my drink dujour was vodka, pomegranate/pineapple juice, and tonic. I still drink the pomegranate pineapple juice, only now it's mixed with mineral water. I swear -- at first, it felt like I got a buzz off of the non-alcoholic drink, like my body recognized a familiar taste and responded as if it was alcohol! Or maybe I'm just crazy. LOL.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
birddog

You are right Biminiblue, I do have to want to get sober more than I want to listen to that voice.

Inflagrante I have been drinking cherry flavored seltzer this week and it has a good bite and tastes very good. That's my "go to" and I will have it a supply with me at all times.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 6 is great birddog

D
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job on 6 days. Please reward yourself on Saturday with something other than a drink. I have done some event planning in the past and know what a task it can be, maybe rewarding yourself with a movie, buy a new book, anything but drinking! Good day, and good luck.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Great job Birddog. I have a suggestion. Why don't you say you are antibiotics so you don't need to have a heavy conversation with your event, sister or family? It will get you through the weekend events. It could be an antibiotic for a tooth infection or something easy to dismiss conversation wise. I'm rooting for you!!! Six days is awesome. When you wake tomorrow remember what waking up last Friday was like! I'm on day 6 too and this time I'm not turning back.
We can do it!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's 2 hours past 5:35? How'd it go? How are you holding up?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

did you make it through Thursday birddog?