Notices

First day of the rest of my life

Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day of the rest of my life

I am not proud that I brought myself to need a forum like this, but I am proud of coming here and actually posting, because it's the first step toward recovery. I've been drinking mostly at night, some times during the day on weekends, and have had blackouts and hangovers. I've tried quitting and ended up with the shakes, sweats, insomnia...it's awful. Yesterday was the last day I drank. I woke at 4am sweating and shaking, drank a ton of water, ate a banana, and went back to bed. Today I'm a little shaky but taking it easy on myself and keeping up with water. I'm just REALLY hoping it doesn't get worse.

This is a huge week coming up for all of my family and I need to be present and alert. Could be interesting. I may end up going to the doctor and admitting to him that I've had a problem and need something like ativan. That would be very hard to do. Nobody else in my life knows because I've been really good at hiding it. Just like my dad did for years before he finally achieved sobriety. I was so angry with him and now I'm repeating his behavior. It's not something I'm proud of, to be sure.

Not sure I'll go public to my family and friends...I'm hoping an online forum and possibly AA meetings (on the side) will provide the support I'm going to need.

Gosh, I feel like crying with relief for coming here. Thank you all for being here and giving me (and all of us!) a safe place to share.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad your here, sleep can be hard in the beginning, hang in there!

I drank last night too, but I too am done with the booze, this site is great support when we come everyday.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Welcome to the club SobrietyRules.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum
Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so proud of you! I'm three weeks sober today, so I know how that first day feels. You're going to feel awful because your body is still reeling, but give yourself a few days and you're going to feel so much better. Once you get a good night's sleep, the world is going to look so different.

I'm not sure if this would help you or not, but I have found that having a non-alcoholic beverage stocked in the fridge really helps me because I'm used to drinking all the time. For me, I mix some pomegranate juice with carbonated mineral water. I don't care how many I drink and if I'm taking in too many calories from the juice -- it's just nice to be able to drink something healthy and refreshing.

Wishing you lots of luck!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. So far so good today. I think the last straw was that I actually threw up yesterday. That hasn't happened before. I'm still feeing kind of wiggy but that obviously comes with the territory.

Inflagrante, that is a great idea. I drink mainly water and coffee but I love pomegranate anything. That mixed with sparkling water sounds wonderful.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I slipped after eight months sober and making my way back here today. You can do this! Keep reading and posting and if you do feel bad definitely go see a doctor. That's what they are there for
Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You sound ready SobrietyRules . We're so glad to have you with us. There's no better place for encouragement.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day three and I'm doing better each day. No real problems yesterday and I wasn't even really tempted to drink last night (evenings have been my problem times) because I was so busy with other things. Sleep seemed better last night but I still woke up several times--the first time was for something that woke me up although I don't remember what. But I got up and felt awful at first, like the first night shakes almost. That didn't last more than a few minutes though, so I'm grateful for that. I felt more alert for all of yesterday than I have for a while and I've been getting so much done around the house, lol. Imagine that. Today is even better, although got little more than 5 hours of sleep. Today is a new day and I'm ready. Got my coffee, water, and G2. Hitting the grocery store later for pomegranate juice and sparkling water too.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done you reaching day 3 keep it up
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
birddog

Welcome and congratulations for making a really smart decision. It is ok to cry with relief it feels great. I could not talk to my family about my drinking because our mother is an alcoholic and I did not want my family to know that I was living the legacy. I talked to my doctor and sobbed and my doc was so understanding and good to me. Remember they have seen this before and they are there to help. This is day 5 for me and I was a wreck for days 1-3. I was so jealous of the people with lots of sober time and the fact that they did not have a hangover. It gets so much better. You have a lot to look forward to. And don't be afraid to do what you need to do for your recovery.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
birddog

Sorry, I was a little late with my post. Congratulations on your 3 days. That is great.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've got about 36 hours total since my last drink. (Monday night around 8 pm). I'm in the midst of the withdrawals myself. I read this morning the worst of the withdrawals is typically 3 to 5 days after stopping. (Lingering withdrawals can be longer depending on your level of drinking etc) There is a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Stay strong and welcome to SR!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SR was the first place I came when I was ready to get help for my drinking. SR is the first place where I finally acknowledged that I am an alcoholic. And SR has been with me for the last year, providing me with advice and encouragement on my sober journey.

Like you, I felt a tremendous feeling of relief when I arrived here. This place has been a godsend for me.

Welcome. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a great first post!! Congrats!! Be strong, you can do this!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, the people here are really caring and the stories are great to read because you can usually relate to most of them.