Notices

what are you doing

Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I went on a hike this afternoon with my super dog and found a new trail that needs exploring, which will be done tomorrow. I live in Mexico, and in the hills around my house, there are loads of cows and goats. Luckily, my dog is a big baby and wants nothing to do with them because they are huge!

Mostly, I'm protecting my sobriety right now. I definitely isolated in my drinking, and I have social anxiety, so I always want to drink if I'm around people too much. The few times I tried AA always made me want to drink because I had so much anxiety about speaking up in front of others! I feel really good right now and I want to rush out and take a bunch of classes and be super social and do all the things that I've been missing out on, but I feel like I need to have a good foundation under my feet before I do anything that's going to be a potential trigger. So, life is kind of boring, but I'm making the most of it! At least my dog is happy! And I think I've lost about 10 pounds. Go figure -- I'm not taking in an extra 8000 calories a week and I'm exercising!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Inflagrante View Post
The few times I tried AA always made me want to drink because I had so much anxiety about speaking up in front of others!
You might try open speaker meetings where you just listen. You can chat with others, at your leisure, before and after the meeting, if/when you wish. Also, the core of AA is the Big Book. If you haven't got the first 164 pages just about memorized, I recommend more reading. The "cure" is in the steps.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
You might try open speaker meetings where you just listen. You can chat with others, at your leisure, before and after the meeting, if/when you wish. Also, the core of AA is the Big Book. If you haven't got the first 164 pages just about memorized, I recommend more reading. The "cure" is in the steps.
Thanks for the info! I've actually tried a bunch of AA classes, and I bought the book and found some good info in there. However, AA isn't for me. Besides, I'm in Mexico and I'm not fluent in Spanish, so I'm not sure that I'd understand what was going on at a local AA!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

There is always online mtns Tuesdays Fridays 9pm est

In chat its down to all mobile users should be working tomorrow I'm told
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My sons are going back to school this week. I'm gonna take it easy this week - then move into a maintainable routine
Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info! I've actually tried a bunch of AA classes, and I bought the book and found some good info in there. However, AA isn't for me. Besides, I'm in Mexico and I'm not fluent in Spanish, so I'm not sure that I'd understand what was going on at a local AA!
Never heard of AA classes... Sorry Inflagrante but maybe excuses will work better for you than they did for me. The Big Book contains more than "some good info". It contains the answer. There are others but avoidance isn't one of them.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Cousins I spent the day with were very hungover Monday, I spent the afternoon at the beach and the park with wife and son......good day. No, great day.

Going to work, and will look forward to getting home all day each day.....but for different reasons than a few month back.....
Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Never heard of AA classes... Sorry Inflagrante but maybe excuses will work better for you than they did for me. The Big Book contains more than "some good info". It contains the answer. There are others but avoidance isn't one of them.
There was no reason to get defensive or condescending about what I said, especially when I'm new to recovery. And I think you know what I meant about AA "classes" -- it was a simple mistake of wording.

Personally, I think some people need AA like some people need religion. I am an atheist and vehemently anti-religion, and since AA is essentially a religious support group for alcoholics where people were continually trying to get me to give myself up to a "higher power" and force the concept of a God on me, I found that AA wasn't for me. I don't need AA to treat my anxiety, which is the core of why I drink, and I don't need to find a higher power to deal with it either. Unless my higher power is a well-paid psychologist. Lots of people have quit drinking without AA and found their own answers. I'm not avoiding anything.

Just because I'm new to sobriety, doesn't mean I'm new to life or haven't learned anything about myself.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had a nice, relaxing, sober weekend. Rented a cabin in a State Park. No TV, no phones... we read books, napped, talked and cooked....

Now, back to work for the next two weeks; then I will be spending a week at an Ashram on the beach in the Caribbean.

I am SO grateful to be sober.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

wish I had something exciting to tell, nope. I have to clean, lots. Husband home in 6 days after working away for 10 weeks. The kids and I are are not as stringent as when he's home. Paperwork piles, shoes left in every room. just a bit of disarray. Then the usual, schools, gym, cooking, grocery, appts. OH and also back to cooking and eating together when he's home. Otherwise, we eat all sorts of things for dinner..Eggs/bacon.. waffles with icecream. we make lots of pizza. Now back to meat and potatoes.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

Washed my dog (went pretty well with a shower no bath escape attempts) then I hoovered his chair with a add on power VAC thingy Ileft him in the garden as its warm out but there are kids playing football and my dog gets excited so had to bring him in damp he's going to mess up the chair I hoovered and im OK with that I think lol

Put clean dishes away hoovered cleaned the hoover applied for a job still waiting on cross rail training should know in 2 weeks

Going to look for more work prepare dinner

Since growing my nails I can scratch my head I've never been able to stop and this month I have

Sobriety is my bestest friend ever
Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Last day of summer in my house. Pool
Party at a friends then two kids off to football and one to swimming. Tomorrow I send my oldest to high school, my middle guy to his middle school
And my baby to his last year of
Elementary. All boys and sports seasons are in full swing. Very very busy. My husband and I have also decided to make our marriage a priority in this crazy life and I am psyched to do that! When did I have time to drink so much!!!! Hahahahaha
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

AA is essentially a religious support group.
Sorry but it's simply not, although many misinterpret it that way. I don't mean to be condescending, I'm just trying to get the true facts out there. Google "spirituality" for more detail. Big difference since the middle ages, or so.

I've been agnostic my whole life; way too much of a scientist to believe otherwise. After 7 near fatal years of drinking a half gallonish of vodka a day to run from myself, I got tired of running and got humble instead. That decision saved my life.