Notices

1 in 20, thats the odds 1 in 20 that is what science thinks

Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The only odds that count for me are that once I gave it 100% I've had 100% success.

I understand people find comfort in quantification but I really don't see this as a race or a competition or a comparative sport - you get out what you put in.

As for harm reduction - well...others have told me it works for them, but it never worked for me - for me, the harm started with that first drink.

D
Love this post dee I always tell ppl I'm a turtle in a rabbit race when it comes to sobriety and we all know that story

Forever the newcomer always learning lol
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
nmd

I'm with displaced grits, I think this is my 20th try so I have a good feeling this is it.

I think there is success in realizing you have a problem and trying to do something about it. Very few changes happen the first try. Try something and fall down at first? Get back up and do something different the next time.
I'm glad you are still here and fighting.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just celebrated a year last week. I never quit anything by doing it just a little. I look at harm reduction like a parent that tells their kid it's okay to loose. It works for some, just not me.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recovered

Statistics are just another excuse, IMO. They allow me to stay up in my head and not DO anything about my situation. The problem is in the mirror. I can get "into action" or "into thinking". I prefer the former.

I am five years sober and know probably 50 people with 10- 20- and even 30+ years of sobriety. So SOMETHING is working. I can be one of the "1 out of 20" if it is my desire to do so. Well, I desired it and made it so. :-) You can too.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi. I’ve been sober with the aid of the AA program for a lot of years. It took about 2 years of wanting to drink more than I wanted to be sober before the pain got so bad I surrendered to the fact I cannot drink in safety.
In all those years of thousands of meetings I never heard of any kind of inside or outside drinking poll. I’ve asked others and no one has been polled so the results have me wondering.
I have no doubt the numbers are low for all the methods people choose to be sober because people act like people act for various reasons like forgetting the pain to get here.
In observing relapses over the years I’ll say that most people who relapse don’t make it back with a sober long lasting lifestyle. I’ve seen far too many just not make it back and it hurts me a lot as I have an idea what it’s like being in the desperation and pain. The death rate is too high!
We need to remember that there is no guarantee that we can recover after a relapse.

BE WELL
Old 09-01-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Isn't there a difference between "odds" and "ratio"? Getting sober is not a lottery, it's not totally random. You can "stack" the cards in your favor IMHO.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm sober now and have been for a few years. It is possible despite the odds.