Notices

Fun sober things to do?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Nothing sounds fun I think my endorphins need to balance out again because all I feel like doing is curling under the covers n shutting the world off.
just pick something new and go do it.

it all starts with action.

keep on doing it.

you will eventually create a new energy....
Old 08-31-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Driving without worrying about getting pulled over is nice.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mrrryah1 -- I feel you. It took a while to get used to finding things to do that didn't involve drinking but it DOES get better. Most of my social activities revolved around drinking so I was/am pretty lonely in the early days too. But stick with it!

I've been catching matinees when I can on the weekends. I know movies aren't cheap...but the $10-$12/movie is still not more than the booze we'd be having all day, right? I usually buy a sparkling water and some candy at the drugstore that I sneak in...ha. Sorry, I guess I shouldn't post that....kids, don't do what I do!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I spent the first two months of sobriety mostly going to AA meetings, cleaning my apartment, looking for a job (unemployed at the time), and doing basic errands like grocery shopping and cooking. For fun, I would mostly call friends or people I met from AA, go for a walk, or go for a drive in my car, read a book, watch TV, or listen to music. Nothing wrong with those simple activities, especially in early sobriety when your body and mind are still adjusting to being sober. I got books and movies from the library for free. Watching TV (if you have one) or reading can easily keep you occupied for a few hours and you may end up finding new interests you never knew you had. I rediscovered my interest in politics/the news which I had completely forgotten about when I was drinking. A lot of other great ideas here for fun activities, but speaking for myself, I would not have been able to handle a lot of them in early sobriety, I did not feel well physically and could not handle stress well for the first two months.