Notices

Omg I'm here?!?!?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Emma. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes Em, this site works well. Welcome! Peruse and hopefully identify with the rest of us in quitting and the struggle--plenty of helpful stuff here.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If you think it is a problem, why not stop altogether? Alcohol dependence is progressive, and even though right now you feel "I've got this" you don't know when it will turn on you and you will become unable to stop. It's sneaky and powerful. No one started with three glasses and thought, "Hm, I want to become so dependent that I lose everything."

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Alcohol can and will take everything from you - including your life. Read around the forums, it is sobering. (pun intended)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Emma. I'm new too. From London.

I don't drink until I fall. But I know I drink every night. What I drink is nothing by some people's standards. 6 pints of Stella is standard for me on a work night. Much more weekends. I know that's wrong and I know it holds me back and has the potential to get worse.

I don't drink to hide from anything. Maybe a bit of boredom,. But I like my life. I like myself. But I can feel that alcohol has got a firm foot in the door. I need to sort it out coz 10 years down the line won't be pretty otherwise.

On Monday 1st of sept i start 1 month. Hopefully up to 3 months without any alcohol.

Do it too. Test yourself. Push yourself.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm 19 days sober, and I attribute SR as being a big factor in that.

Good luck, welcome, and glad you are at least trying to identify your problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Emma. There's lots help, support and, information here. Best thing that's happened to me in a long time.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emma1980 View Post
Well I'm not even sure if my situation is a situation but can't stop drinking every night...been a few years now. Not excessive until I drop down but enough to give me a buzz. I hold down a successful fulltime job but love booze way too much!!! Is it really that bad?? I also get wasted every Saturday which wipes out an entire day most weekends
Welcome Emma....

What you describe could be looked at as "not all that bad...."

In fact, that's kinda how I looked at it... years ago. Then it continued like that for years. Along the way it worsened. I got DUIs. I got divorces. I wasted a lot of my life doing "not all that bad".

Finally in my 40's I'm sober for heading toward nine months now and beginning to realize how much more joyous and full life is without "not all that bad".

Just how much better than "not all that bad" life really is.

Stick around, read, post, learn.... I think you will find your way to the answers you seek for yourself.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Emma,

I'm also new here, just signed up today. Like yourself, there's still a lot of scepticism happening in my mind whether it's really "all that bad" (like FreeOwl nicely put it above).

I drink maybe 2-3 times a week, which obviously isn't "that bad" but am realising more and more how hard it is for me to stop until I'm drunk once I've started.

I've been reading around the forum a lot today and it's definitely helped me understand that while things might not be "all that bad", it's definitely at a point where I'm (sober me is) no longer in control over how much I drink.

I don't know how or where this journey will go, but for today I'm definitely grateful to have found this place.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Stick around and find out! When you get to 1000 posts you get a super-secret friendship badge, or at least that's what I'm holdin' out for! (lookin' at you, forum mods!)

Seriously though, I found it really helpful, haven't had a drink in . . 14 months? something like that. I only live through alcoholic problem experiences vicariously now, from reading other people's posts on the forums, and that seems to be sufficient don't need to go finding any of my own up-close and personal.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emma
Old 08-29-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well I'm not even sure if my situation is a situation but can't stop drinking every night...been a few years now. Not excessive until I drop down but enough to give me a buzz. I hold down a successful fulltime job but love booze way too much!!! Is it really that bad?? I also get wasted every Saturday which wipes out an entire day most weekends
Welcome aboard. A little dose of cold, hard truth. You say you drink every night and get smashed at least once a week and you're really asking if your relationship with alcohol is that bad? Does it sound good to you? Does consuming a poison that wears on your health, finances, relationships, and professional aspirations on a daily basis seem like the type of life you want? These are tough questions when you are first coming to the realization that alcohol is ruining your life, but I know I wish I had asked them years earlier.

True happiness cannot be found in a bottle, you may be alive but you aren't living when you're a slave to it. Quit now before you lose as many years to it as some of us on here. Plenty of support and help on this website, some have quit using it solely as a resource.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Emma! It's great to have you here with us.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I got sober by staying close to SR.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Does this place really help?
It sure does Emma. Welcome. I've been sober for nearly 18 months and my life has never been better.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

SR has been a great help for me. Just knowing people understand and don't judge. I hope it helps you as much
Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emma! SR has really been a blessing to me in my new journey of sobriety. I can truly say that the people and moderators have helped put the brakes on my downward spiral to becoming a full-blown alcoholic.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emma. Like anything else, the first step is the first step

SR works if you use it. I was doing very well for months, but recently regressed. The only reason is I didn't use the tools that were available to me. During my sober period, I logged onto SR every day and read stories about people's pain, and progress. I don't post often, but knowing I can helps me. AA is the same thing. It's a tool that if you use it, works. It doesn't work if you don't use it.

I've started looking at my recovery like taking up a sport. I used to be an avid runner. But, if I don't put on my shoes, I don't run. If I don't actively find things that support my recovery, I don't recover.

What that "something" is is a little different for every person.

Good luck, you've made that first step you just need to keep putting on your shoes to make it stick
Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emma-
This place sure DOES help. Some people get sober using this site alone, some with a combo of SR and formal programs. Like others have said, read, post, learn- get to know some people and you will absolutely find stories that resonate with you and make you understand that you are NOT alone. I look forward to hearing more from you as you make your journey, whatever it may be.