Notices

Two years & 53 books later....

Old 08-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two years & 53 books later....

Hello-

I wrote the following in my clean and sober journal shortly after my one year anniversary of 100% sobriety.

Today, August 22nd, 2014, is basically my two year anniversary. When I read through my original text a few moments ago the data point that really stuck out to me was the amount of books I've read. Over the first twelve months I read 17 books. However, over the last twelve months I've read a whopping 36 books year over year and more than 26 books year to date. More than double my first year production. Books really do beat "boredom." I cannot imagine my life without my library.

The aggregate return on my equity capital over the last twelve months (aug 23rd 2013- aug 22nd 2014) was 15.6%. Total debt has gone down by more than 3.5% while the aggregate interest on that debt has gone down from 3.29% to 3.21%. Everything else, including my physical health, has been on the same trajectory. I still exercise vigorously and enjoy 100% sobriety tremendously. I did spend seven dollars on a beer at a Colts game back in January. I took my best friend there for a Christmas gift.

It was for her.

Be Encouraged :-)

23rd August 2013-

3:27am

Today marks the one year anniversary of my clean and sober journal. What a remarkable year it has been. Easily the most productive fiscal year of my life.

I have traveled extensively, resting in seven different states, attended the Indy 500, read over 17 books, and exercised consistently and vigorously.

I have watched or participated as my six year old son competed in four sports, football, basketball, baseball and tennis….and swim in this spare time. His reading level was at H at the end of the last school year ( it was supposed to be at a level of E) AND he’s on a 2nd grade math level.

Six bills that were coming into the mail at this time last year, Lowes, Pottery Barn, the truck payment, the Harley payment, the lawn care service, and the home equity line, are all gone, paid off in full. I have also detached myself from my local barbershop as I now cut my own hair.

As a direct result my margin line has come down from 17000 to 7000 ( saving me $796 a year in interest) and my equity portfolio has exploded to the upside by well over $70,000 dollars. By comparison, it took the first thirty two years of my life to amass my first 70,000 in savings.

Amazing.

I have paid off more than 4600 dollars of debt, over funded my home escrow account, reduced the interest rate on my aggregate debt from 4.6% to 3.29%, re-roofed my house, painted my bathroom-bedroom ceiling, retiled my bathroom floor, replaced my bedroom trash can, replaced my bed sheets, replaced my kitchen trash basket, have had the house professionally cleaned, twice!, maintained all of my assets, replaced well over 10% of my wardrobe AND acquired a brand new John Deere riding mower, edger, and trimmer. All of which have been paid for in full.

Pull up production has increased by 17%
Push up production has increased by 14%
Stationary bicycle production has increased by 62.5%

Yesterday I swam for more than 30 minutes and put together my very first fantasy football team.
Tuesday I bicycled 13 miles
Monday I ran 3 miles
Today – 2.5 mile walk

Amount of money spent on drugs and/or alcohol over the last twelve months – 0.00

Amount of drugs and alcohol consumed over the last twelve months- zero.

Word of the day- Tryst

An appointment made in secret, especially between lovers.

This quote comes once again to the front of my mind.

“You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes much sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge. And if you project forward from that pattern, then sometimes you can come up with something.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!! Very inspiring!!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing I forgot to mention...

I've been pulled over exactly zero times since I stopped drinking.

That stat still amazes me.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I needed it today.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You rock!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two years sober.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Congrats on 2+
I remember your posts from when I first stated coming to SR, uber positive and energetic .
You didn't mention it in your journal entries , but be aware of the inspiration you are responsible for. I would see your avatar and think to myself , that is a can Do guy, and I'd do well to adopt that attitude.
Wish you well , and thanks you rock
Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome achievement, Majority ! May your fantastic journey continue ever onwards !!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats! Very inspiring
Old 08-22-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats! Nice job.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great post - thank you so much. It will inspire many! Proud of you for attaining those 2+ years!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post! You really are an inspiration! Congratulations on two years!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for your inspirational post. I would like to get back into reading since I have more free time now since I'm not drinking.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Sobriety really does get easier over time.

I read once that you must strengthen your will to do (fill in the blank) until it becomes your disposition to (fill in the blank.)

I agree with that statement.

Once again....
Old 08-23-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on two years. Inspirational post.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post to red first thing this morning. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is AWESOME!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

My favourite post ever
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A few things you may find interesting....

1. The acquirement of knowledge is remarkably similar to blowing a chewing gum bubble inside of another, larger, chewing gum bubble. It doesn't matter how large your knowledge bubble grows, your larger ignorance bubble also continues to grow, concomitantly, right along with it.

I find this interesting.

2. At this point in time bars, to me, are the adult equivalent of a "bouncy house." On the rare occasion I find myself in such establishments without being compensated, I can summon the sinew to stand there for a few minutes and listen to my friends slobber, slur, wobble and drivel all over themselves while they talk to me, then I simply go home without even saying goodbye; reminding myself all the while that that used to be me.

I don't miss that person at all.

3. The most important day in your journey will always be today. Today, and today only is always, always, ALWAYS the most important day to remain clean and sober. Don't worry about tomorrow, next week, next month or even think about next year. If you can do that, half the battle is won.

4. T.D Jakes once said, "starve that which you want to die, and nurture that which you want to grow." - I agree with that statement.

I gotta go coach a soccer game!

Take care everyone
Old 08-23-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are very inspirational and have a gift for writing. I hope you continue to post as you have given me much food for thought. Thank you!