Notices

Wedding this weekend

Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing to be careful of is a delayed reaction. I have seen numerous people make I through the event only to crack a few days latter.

Also do you have an escape plan and are you going with people who support your sobriety?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I honestly couldn't do it as I am only days in not months being sober. I have told all my friends and family that I am going to be selfish as I need to get ME under control with my cravings and need to stay away from all social & drinking situations until I am ready. I bet if you think about it your AV is already amping up to get drunk cause of course it's a wedding and everyone drinks a little right? So that's why I would not go cause I can hear the AV in my head for you right now!
Of course it's your call and if you can do it great!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
One thing to be careful of is a delayed reaction. I have seen numerous people make I through the event only to crack a few days latter.

Also do you have an escape plan and are you going with people who support your sobriety?
Re: delayed reaction...interesting. I saw a couple of other people posted that this was exactly their experience. Why do you think that is??

I will definitely be keeping that in mind.

I don't know about anyone "supporting my sobriety" as I haven't come right out and said I have a problem with alcohol and that's why I am not drinking. But I've mentioned to a few people that I'm not drinking for a while...and no one will pressure me, but mostly b/c no one really cares one way or the other.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I really don't know the why of the delayed reaction but I have seen the symptoms enough times to know it exists. For me I am just sort unbalanced for a day or two for others they drink.

Do you have an escape plan?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If you are truly committed to being sober and have admitted your an alcoholic who has regrets each time they get drunk then consider the following;

Work through the process in your mind of the people you hurt and the S*** you did/caused while drunk - BEFORE you even consider picking up a drink.

Remember nothing changes. We only get so many chances. If you truly are desirous of quitting and have made up your mind it's really not that difficult.

The problem with most is they REALLY have not done this.

Hope you catch the bouquet!!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I really don't know the why of the delayed reaction but I have seen the symptoms enough times to know it exists. For me I am just sort unbalanced for a day or two for others they drink.

Do you have an escape plan?
Escape plan -- I can say I don't feel great and go back to the house early. That's really it. Can't leave and actually drive back home since I'm not driving there
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I went to a wedding last weekend after two weeks of sobriety and was absolutely determined that I would not drink. At the event I reminded myself that there was a good chance that I would ruin the wedding and upset friends and family if the first drink was picked, but also thought of waking up the next day feeling physically good and feeling empowered at passing such a test. Everyone is different though. It sounds like a cop out but you will know best what works for you. It sounds as though the wedding won’t be too booze soaked so try and speak to people who aren’t drinking.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow. My sister is getting married September 6th. I have not been able to be the best bridesmaid. How do I make up for that
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Am I allowed to drink? I already have talked her about this being my last time. I am going forward into the world
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How are you?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Pray about it.
Ask God to keep you safe and to remove the desire to drink.
Worked for me early days, still does.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Those that love you care about you very much which was my experience at the wedding. They were keeping an eye on me. The others at the wedding really don't care one way or the other about what your drinking. It was truly a different experience for me being sober at a wedding. Felt a little uncomfortable at first but It ended up being a lot of fun. Bonus - the next morning I felt great - no hangover and I remembered everything.

There is no shame admitting you have a problem to the people closest to you. At first I also told my family and friends that I was taking a break from alcohol. That was a lie and I am not a liar so I came clean and it was a huge relief. They have been more supportive than ever. I think you need to rethink your exit strategy since it involves someone else having to leave early. You most likely will have to confide in that person so that if the time comes your exit is guaranteed.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Lola how did it go?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi AppleKat - thanks for asking.

It went great! I was so worried and yet, it turned out quite nice. There was beer in the house but once I decided I wasn't having any, I was ok. There were moments of "hm...would a beer be nice?" but I just got it in my head that I wasn't going to drink that night...so I wasn't going to drink. Granted, it was easier than being in a total booze crowd...this was my sister and some cousins...some had a couple of beers each in the evening and some had none. So for that night, I was one that had none, no biggie!

The reception had an open bar but it was so crowded anyways that I GLAD I wasn't drinking! I was actually thinking that IF I was drinking, I would be so frustrated that I couldn't get my next drink...ugh.

Anyways, all in all, it was a great weekend spent with some family. I'm not all that close to most of my family but it was still fun to spend a little time, gossip about family drama, etc. I have a tough week ahead of me with work travel so I'm glad I got the strong weekend under my belt!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well done!!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great stuff!!