Notices

Finally went to the Dr. High BP confirmed.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally went to the Dr. High BP confirmed.

Okay so I had posted about pressure in my head days 1-4, and even though I haven't drank in a little over 2 weeks, the pressure is still here. Went to a new Dr today, LOVED HIM, he was so great. He Did confirm High blood pressure. My sister is a nurse, and we've been getting high readings. The pressure was there every day after drinking too If I'm being honest. He did put me on a Beta Blocker, and I'm scared. I know that my drinking caused this, and now I'm going to try with everything in me to lower it. Anyone have any tips? My BP wasn't that bad, 160/96. He told me to limit alcohol( I didn't tell him my history, as I don't think I need to. I CAN'T drink again, and am leaving it at that). I plan on working out, lowering salt intake, anything else I can do guys? I've never had high blood pressure before. Oh also, I just sent my "baby" to kindergarten on Tuesday. Monday was an emotional roller coaster for me, and I thought about drinking. Didn't though, and I was able to walk my daughters' to school SOBER the next day . I was so proud of myself, just wanted to share that with you all.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tara,

MY BP was also very high when I was drinking every day. It went way down to a normal level when I stopped drinking. I'll bet your BP will go down too with complete abstinence. If you stop drinking then you probably won't even have to try anything else.

I'm glad to hear you are done drinking. I used to try any and everything to lower it without stopping drinking. Anything but stopping drinking! If you never drink again, then I think it's okay that you didn't tell your doctor about your drinking history. If you relapse, even once though I would tell them honestly. The only way they can help us is if we are honest with them.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exercise and being at a healthy weight works wonders.

I had highish BP when drinking too 140/90 - and that was with a fairly good diet and moderate exercise.

Two months later it was 120/80 - better.

You are doing so well! Taking care of your health, stopping drinking and caring for your precious daughter. Well done.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually have 2 daughters. 8 and 5. It has been amazing spending time with them sober, and it really hit home last week when my oldest said, " Can we go get orange juice for tomorrow, or have you made a drink?" Wow. Crushed. 8 years old! We got ice cream and orange juice that night. I'm just really focused on being the best person/mom/wife I can be for all of us. I don't post a lot, but I get on everyday to read. The inspiring posts are what keep me going.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A few years back, I had extremely high blood pressure, Doc said two choices, complete vegetarian diet, no salt, no booze, allowed 4oz of white meat a week, 2 glasses red wine per week, or go on hbp meds for life. I hate any kind of meds so the diet was my only option! That lasted all of a month! To a beer drinking meat and potatoes man, the diet was worse than death.... The Missus did a bunch of reading and research and suggested I give Hawthorn Berry (herbal store) a try. Went back to my old diet and bad habits and my bp has been 120/80 for the past 5 years! I'm not giving out any medical advice, that is up to your Doctor, but it worked for me. Hope everything works out for the best!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great stuff taramaree on seeing a Dr!! Sounds like a positive step forward!!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taramaree View Post

He did put me on a Beta Blocker, and I'm scared.
in time you (may be able) to get off of the Beta Blocker
if you continue to do the right healthy things

it's good to listen to these wake up calls (as our bodies talk to us)
I have known so many who did not
only to pay a very high price later on in their lives

MM