Notices

Guys What do I do!!! Job on the line DUI arrest etc

Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guys What do I do!!! Job on the line DUI arrest etc

i have been going through DUI stuff since March 1st. I have been sober since. However recently I was convicted of my DUI and am do to start my new job on Monday. What do i do? They ran my MVR prior to my conviction and now I am really scared. My whole life is in this job, if they fire me I am screwed. I been praying non stop and been thinking of what to do. Should I tell HR or my supervisor? Should I not say anything? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi nate

why not wait and see if they do actually fire you first?
Hope it works out better than you fear

D
Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi nate

why not wait and see if they do actually fire you first?
Hope it works out better than you fear

D
I was thinking of not saying anything unless it comes up...if it does I will admit to it.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi natehamburg. I don't know what your job is and how likely a DUI is likely to affect your day to day work schedule. As far as I am aware, it is a requirement that HR are informed of any criminal investigations/convictions. I received my DUI Jan 2013. I played with the idea of whether or not to tell my management. In the end I didn't. I told them that I had lost my license due to a health issue. I later told them that I had an alcohol problem. They're not stupid and i'm quite sure they've put two and two together but i've been very lucky that they have continually supported me.

I don't really have an answer for you. I'm due my license back in October (finally). I've had a lot of time to consider my actions and how I would respond at future interviews. My job is due to finish on 12 Sept, I am therefore job hunting. It's a legal requirement of my role that there is a criminal records check. A year ago I would have squirmed at the thought of admitting a DUI and an alcohol problem. As I say, i've had a lot of time to think this through. Obtaining a DUI is most def not the right thing to do. Alcoholism however is a health issue.........I do not condone drink driving by any means but it is what it is, I did what I did. I have no hesitations about owning up to this at future interviews. I committed the crime. I truly believe that while initially your employers may be shocked, judgemental and lets face it, they could have been personally affected at some point in their lives from a drink driving incident. At the end of the day, as an employer, I would value the integrity and honesty of an individual rather than past events which they have owned up to and display a deep sense of remorse.

Only you can make that final decision. I wish you well.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you don't need a driving license to do your job then I wouldn't mention it. You haven't lied as when they ran the check you had a license. Try not to worry and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I don't know what country you live in but here in the US I'd say don't say anything unless it becomes and issue. If they ask don't lie but I also wouldn't bring it up. Presumably the background checks are all done.

The possible exception might be if you need a CDL (in the US). That might be different.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check the company handbook and your employment application -- there may be some things in there that clarify whether or not you have a duty to inform your employer.

I can't really say more without giving you legal advice and that's kind of a no no.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It depends on your job, your employer and conditions of employment.
Where I worked if I got arrested for anything, if I didn't report it within 24 hours I would be dismissed without question. Parking tickets and driving 10 mph over the speed limit were the ONLY exceptions. If they already did a check on you they must have a policy about it.

Do what the cat in the suit recommends. Pronto!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah all depends on the job and the HR rules, but if you don't need to say anything then there is no point opening up that can of worms!!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BRD

If they haven't asked I wouldn't say anything. If they do ask, be honest.

(Not a lawyer)
Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not meant to stir the pot...
I know a guy who was fired on the spot because 3 months after he was hired a DUI showed up from years prior on a follow up background check. I witnessed it as it happened. Asked why he didn't report it, he said it was expunged from his record - IT WAS - and he didn't think it needed to be reported. Employer said, too bad, you withheld information, your integrity is questionable. Of course this was not your average job. BUT, honesty/integrity goes a long way.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok, well this is an interesting situation. I've had DUIs back in 2002 and 2004. They never affected me keeping my job at the time. I worked with that company for 13 years and nothing ever came up. I was hired for another job in 2013, and was recently let go for other work related stuff. It was probably due to my binge the end of the weeks since I was missing/late/leaving work. Anyhow I hated that job! So of course out of sheer boredom with no job I had a couple on a Tuesday afternoon about a month ago. What do you know I hit someones bummer in stop and go traffic. Did the usual ins switch, pics etc. Not even a scratch on my car so easy enough and taken care of right? No the dude escalated it to call his dad, mom, brother came out. Next thing I know hes claiming whiplash, backpain and his hand his hurting. Going 10mph on the freeway in stop and go traffic causes that??? Next thing I know I'm in a detention center for 3 days until the judge lets me out on my OR. Anyways, I've applied for a few jobs. I've gotten hired for a day job that requires driving to service calls. My court date isn't until late November, but I'm letting my soon to be lawyer handle it. So the other evening job I'll be starting did my background check and it hasn't come up.

I wouldn't say anything if I were you. If it's your first dui you and you're convicted it should be pretty quick 3 month suspension and some fines. Misdemeanors don't usually cause problems when they do a background check, but I'm sure it depends on what type of job you have. I never said anything about the ones in my past, and nobody ever said a thing about it.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by natehamburg View Post
i have been going through DUI stuff since March 1st. I have been sober since. However recently I was convicted of my DUI and am do to start my new job on Monday. What do i do? They ran my MVR prior to my conviction and now I am really scared. My whole life is in this job, if they fire me I am screwed. I been praying non stop and been thinking of what to do. Should I tell HR or my supervisor? Should I not say anything? Any help would be appreciated.
I'd just keep it to myself. If something came up from them that is a different story. Unless you have a government job I would just let sleeping dogs...just sleep. Ha however the saying goes. Not sure what hours you work etc, but if you have at least a restricted license you should be fine. I've been through this before, so just try to take it easy and not stress every time you see HR.