Notices

I can't do this on my own

Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do this on my own

I need help. Will go to aa as soon as I am back home, I am currently abroad and far away from any aa. I also need to find some other kind of support but I don't know where. I tried a therapist but as he wasn't an alcoholic himself he didn't quite understand. It really is a hidious thing, alcohol, and I am scared I won't be able to stop.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

How long until you are back from abroad? There are lots of AA meetings abroad but i understand that it's not nearly as widely available as it is in the US. How about online meetings? Are there sober alcoholics you can call? Do you have a Big Book? Get plugged in while you're feeling the desperate motivation.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Laura567, welcome here. I am also abroad (forever, my home is here now) and could not go to aa here where I am for various reasons. I am seeing a therapist as well who is not an alcoholic but is a chocoholic (she told me of times she would hide in the bathroom and eat 2 kilos of chocolate in one go until she vomited so I trust she really understands addiction). However I also felt like sometimes she got bored of the same old story from me. I found little support form those close to me here as they are not alcoholics and no matter how many times or ways I tired to explain myself, no one understood.

Then I found this forum and things changed. I have tried to quit hundreds if not thousands of times. But things came together and I found this forum at just the right time and it has been a life saver for me. I have come on here all hours of the day and night and posted away, read others stories and it has really, really helped in terms of support and advice.

I would definitely seek out face to face help when you return home- I do wish I had more of that here. But use this site as a resource as well.

Also remember that you are strong and you can do this. You are worth it and you deserve the things that sobriety brings. You didn't share much of your personal story (which is fine, by the way!) but I know for me, I was really over being drunk all.the.time, making an ass of myself, putting myself and those close to me in danger, seeing my work and personal responsibilities slip, feeling like total sh*t night and day, etc, etc, etc.

Day 8 here, i won't say it has been easy..... far from it. But it has been worth it. Fighting through raging cravings takes about 5-7 minute (i've timed them). The messes I have made in the past and those I could make in the future if I drank again take a lot longer to deal with.

Good luck to you. Reach out on here anytime you need to. There are people from all over the world registered here, all different time zones. I have found that there is support available 24/7.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laura

I think as long as you're willing to go to any lengths, and to do whatever it takes, you can beat this.

I've never met anyone here who was a hopeless case

D
Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I used a CBT therapist who wasn't an alcoholic, and it worked out for me. My thinking was that I already knew how my brain worked, I wanted to know how it was SUPPOSED to work - if that makes sense.

Anyway- do what works for you and keep fighting for the changes that will free you.

You can do this.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
I need help.
This was the first step of my journey.

Until I admitted I was an alcoholic and needed help there was no reason for me to try. I knew I could not do it alone so I resisted help more than I was attempting to resist alcohol.

When I reached out, it was there, in the rooms of AA. As others have stated, AA is everywhere, it not limited to the states but if the states is your comfort zone then I can understand wanting to wait.

In the meantime post here as often as you need to and even if you don't. For me reaching out took practice and I am still not real good at. I always feel better after but crossing that bridge seems so difficult.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Returning on Sunday, I am in a tiny village in southern Europe. Wine is everywhere and everybody drinks. Internet is not working well and have to use my mobile. I have had a real problem for about 2 years, things escalating at a huge pace. Before I also drank quite a bit but it didn't cause this much trouble. I hate feeling like **** and end up curing it by drinking..and the cycle goes on. I really need to make it through today sober and break the cycle. Wake up feeling good tomorrow and go for a nice walk.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You aren't alone, really. You have SR which I've clung to when I've not been able to get to a meeting. It must be frustrating when wine seems all around you but there must be other things to see and do?

Hang in there. You return home on Sunday. If you are flying out of a big international airport maybe see if there are aa meetings nearby or in the airport? You can do it.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Come home early? x
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Laura!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
Returning on Sunday, I am in a tiny village in southern Europe. Wine is everywhere and everybody drinks. Internet is not working well and have to use my mobile. I have had a real problem for about 2 years, things escalating at a huge pace. Before I also drank quite a bit but it didn't cause this much trouble. I hate feeling like **** and end up curing it by drinking..and the cycle goes on. I really need to make it through today sober and break the cycle. Wake up feeling good tomorrow and go for a nice walk.
Hi Laura, first, my apologies for my initial post welcoming you- I see now you have been a member far longer than I have! Glad to have you posting I should have said.

I too live in a smallish area in a wine loving country- Italy. Wine is, as you said, everywhere. Every restaurant dinner begins with the waiter bringing a complimentary glass of prosecco; there is wine at lunch at dinner; there are aperitivos; heck I even see some folks having a grappa (!!!!!) as a chaser after their morning coffee. But we alcoholics should not drink and we will find any excuse TO drink, including where we live. I can say from experience it is difficult to quit when it really is everywhere. But would home be that much different? You are going to need to be extra strong to just say no when wine is such a part of the culture and considered a food group where you are. But you CAN do it.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Managed to say no yesterday although wine was poured into my glass. Nobody seemed to mind I drank water. So feeling good today although a bit tired from crappy sleep. Feel kind of poisoned from all the days of drinking. I am going to habe a ig breakfast and then go for a walk. Thanks for all the support!