Notices

I'm having a bad day

Old 08-05-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm having a bad day

I am having a horrible time. Second day in a row with overwhelming anxiety. I can barely function.

I went for a walk.
I had a nap.
I drank lots of water.

Nothing seems to help

I can't get rid of the pounding heartbeats, panic feeling, overall extreme anxiety.

All my AV is telling me is to go get a bottle of wine. That I am smart, successful, strong...that I can control my drinking. That a glass of wine is going to calm me down.

Please help.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The glass (if it's just one glass) of wine will 'calm' you for a while, until the post-wine anxiety sets in and makes you feel even worse.

You can get thru this. If all else fails, go to bed early just for something to do.

I cuddle with my dogs and cats when I'm feeling anxious or unhappy.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not drinking will help you remain the smart, successful, strong person that you are.

Try and focus on your breath to help with the anxiety. Take some deep breaths, then continue to feel yourself breathe in and out. Remember that these feelings may be strong but they are also temporary -- they will pass. You will feel better soon, I promise.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I guess I am starting to feel anxiety about my anxiety if that makes sense? I keep thinking that I am going to go crazy and that this anxiety will never go away
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

do you have anyone to call patricia ? sometimes a good chat with someone like a sponsor can really help get rid of things in the mind
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Patricia,

If you are anything like me, one glass is delusional - I NEVER drank just one. One winery, maybe, but never one glass. If you are an alcoholic, once you start, it's almost impossible to just decide to stop.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Thank you. I guess I am starting to feel anxiety about my anxiety if that makes sense? I keep thinking that I am going to go crazy and that this anxiety will never go away
Totally makes sense, I've experienced this exact same feeling. Anxiety exists and is awful but does not mean we are losing our minds or that it is permanent. By focusing so much on these fears we strengthen them and make them worse - a vicious cycle. What helped me was to weaken my reaction to my reactions - meaning trying to remain calm about my anxiety itself.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you. Thoughts are just thoughts - not facts. Try not to feed the anxiety with the Story that goes with them.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong. Remember, drinking that wine will just keep the cycle going. The anxiety wont leave, youll just extend it. You can do it.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better. Do you have anything natural to help you? Chamomile or Valerian? I bought some online and also natural calm ...it is a powder you put in water and you drink it. It is magnesium and it really works ! I would say invest in some natural remedies to get you over the anxiety hump! but it will lessen...I know it SUCKS As*
Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your help and support. I don't feel so "crazy" now after reading all your posts.

I actually feel a little better. I think the Universe sent me a huge sign today.

Right after my post I decided to take the puppy for a walk hoping that would help me calm down. (I didn't bring my wallet to avoid being tempted to stop by the liquor store...)

I run into my neighbour and she asked me to babysit her daughter for an hour because she had a small car emergency.

So I brought the little girl home and she played with my son and they all had a great time. And my mood immediately lifted. The sound of children laughing is the best sound in the world...

I think the message that God/the Universe sent me was...what would have happened if I had been drunk while babysitting tonight?

I don't even want to imagine, it's too scary.