Notices

Day three

Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Day three

I've always enjoyed a drink but following a divorce 12 years ago, I have been drinking 1.5 to 3 litres of wine a day. Never drank in the morning though so I always thought that I'm not that bad. Now, due to an expanding waistline where just a few years ago was a six pack and also due to financial constraints, I am trying to quit drinking.
My new wife just wants me to be happy, drink or not. She seems to prefer me when I've been drinking; I am "more fun and more passionate".
I hope that once I'm over the withdrawals I'll be ok but life without drink is daunting.
This is day three; I'm ok, just a bit jittery. I want to do this but my biggest fear is that my new wife won't like the new me. She'll appreciate me getting back in shape, I'm sure but I hope I don't become boring.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that a pretty common fear, but it also proves to be pretty groundless.
I'm sure that, with a little time to adjust, you'll find fun, and passion, again

welcome to SR Barnet

D
Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum and great job on Day 3!!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
I've always enjoyed a drink but following a divorce 12 years ago, I have been drinking 1.5 to 3 litres of wine a day. Never drank in the morning though so I always thought that I'm not that bad. Now, due to an expanding waistline where just a few years ago was a six pack and also due to financial constraints, I am trying to quit drinking.
My new wife just wants me to be happy, drink or not. She seems to prefer me when I've been drinking; I am "more fun and more passionate".
I hope that once I'm over the withdrawals I'll be ok but life without drink is daunting.
This is day three; I'm ok, just a bit jittery. I want to do this but my biggest fear is that my new wife won't like the new me. She'll appreciate me getting back in shape, I'm sure but I hope I don't become boring.
Hello, I'm 3 days in too. I'm finding it hard at times also. I don't believe for a second that your new wife will find you boring sober, surely you'll have so much more energy when your body is healed that she may even struggle to keep up with you! You will be so much more without alcohol, I know I eventually will. I think my partner feels a little threatened by me stopping drinking. When I talk about all the things I want to achieve and how much better things will be, I can see that it makes him uneasy. I totally understand why he feels that way but he need not bc things can only get better and if they don't for any reason it will have nothing to do with me not drinking, I know that for certain. Keep up the good work. Here's to a great day 3 for both of us.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
I think it takes a while to find your balance and grounding as a sober person. I know that this past week I have felt a little off. I am so ready to feel settled and find out who I am sober. I have been hiding behind the veil of alcohol for so long it is going to take a while to come out and really feel relaxed. Be patient with yourself. At the same time, try to put yourself out there and feel your way around this new sober existence. Take chances being passionate and fun as a sober person. Go as slow as you need to, but baby steps will keep you moving forward. Best of luck to you. Day 3 was always my sticking point that I just couldn't seem to get past. It is a tough one, but it is just one day of your life. You can do this for one day, you can. And then tomorrow get up and do it all over again.