Notices

People in my life who drink

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A few of my friends had the same fears as you and (as they admitted months later) made some serious attempts to sabotage my sobriety. Nice hey! I'd have been more peeved if they'd been successful.

There are some people who I thought of as friends (because we spent so much time drinking together) who turned out to just be mutual friends of our old buddy Alcohol. Some have remained friends and I still see them - but not while they're drunk. While they're drunk we're on completely different wavelengths and it's pointless. My partner (of almost 25 years) comes under that category as well.
If they're out for the evening I'll see them for the first couple of hours then head home. At first I felt hard done by doing this, but now I love it. I get two nights. A night out chatting to sober or almost sober friends, and then a night in with PJs, a takeaway, good film, or good book. Greedy hey!

And I have made some good friends at AA as well. I have some lovely tea shops and coffee houses where I live, so we meet in those places for a natter, or go for a meal.

Also, I started getting in touch with some of my old friends from childhood who'd been dropped by the wayside when they didn't join in with my drink-heavy lifestyle.