Notices

Day 1 again

Old 07-20-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Hello to everyone out there. I'm new to posting here but I have read quite a few threads on here and it's given me some inspiration.

In June I managed two whole weeks off the drink and felt great for pretty much the entire time. Then I slipped whilst watching the world cup and have drank everyday for a month now and I really want to get back to sobriety.

I've been drinking 5 or 6 beers (pints) per night and I'm wondering if I should taper or quit. I'd prefer a few days on meds just to help me sleep but my doc absolutely refuses to help.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back -- you can do it!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Drangleic

Your Dr refused to help you on the taper or quit choice, or just the meds?

Not everyone has or needs meds, but he/she should have given you some indication of whether he/she thought you were in danger tho?

D
Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi D. My doc does not really want any hassle of dealing with anything that is not a common cold. I should just find another GP. He just gave me a phone number for a rehab clinic which is not really what I want to do as I do not think I am in the danger zone for cold turkey, just wish there was a way to make the day and eve go quicker and smoother.

I'll hopefully just white knuckle it like last time. Once I get past the first day I am happy without a drink so long as I avoid situations with friends wanting to drink.

I'll keep reading all these great threads so that my motivation will hopefully be stronger than my desire.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well if you do feel unwell you presumably know all the relevant numbers for help

D
Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Drangleic and welcome to SR.

I had to Change all my routine and habits so I wasn't doing things which triggered me picking up. Watching World Cup would've been a trigger for me when I first stopped drinking, but then again any excuse to pick up, good or bad.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Drangleic!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Drangleic - you found a great place. You're among those who understand and care.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. When I got a moment away from my alcoholic haze I still wanted to do things my unsuccessful way. I was totally undisciplined and needed much change in my life or it was going to end soon the way things were going. I didn’t know what I didn’t know and had to follow directions of those with more experience then I had. Again I say that self honesty about my drinking and accepting the fact that I could not drink in safety any more led me down the path along of sobriety.

BE WELL