Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Once you pop the fun don't stop (long post sorry please read it all)

Notices

Once you pop the fun don't stop (long post sorry please read it all)

Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
By wonder, does that mean you allow for that which is mystical or inexplicable or is their a scientific, rational explanation for everything?
Hmm I don't know...most things I think there is a rational explanation for, whether we know it or not..... but if we don't know the reason or cannot possibly know the reason then that's where wonder comes in...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

. You won't see me posting to your thread with a simple "congrats on x days" -- not that those posts aren't valuable-- it's just that it's in my nature to fuel a discussion and discussion is always good as long as we are respectful.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I appreciate your post! I guess I find it a bit intimidating, but I am going to pipe in anyway... Hahah. Science supports that a life free of alcohol and drugs is completely possible and healthy. Until science catches up with the penchant for self destruction, we are fortunate to find a community to discuss why we have a compulsion to touch a hot stove, despite repeatedly getting burned.

Drinking alcohol is a choice. Plan and simple. People can make excuses, rationalizations, create labels like the beast and AV, but ultimately it is about taking personal responsibility. Drinking or not drinking should be a small part of how individuals are defining themselves.

I find that the more I see people focus on this one element, the less I see people realize their larger potential. The real context should be: how and what can I contribute? Am I going perform at my best today at work? Will I make sure that I am demonstrating to the people I love that they have my caring and support? Am I being kind to myself and others? Am I contributing positive energy? (Insert "questions pertaining to lightening the burdens on yourself and others and the reinforcement of positive life choices")

If drinking does not align with these goals? Abstain. And then take any steps to help accomplish abstaining. No debate on methods necessary.

When you describe yourself as a protagonist, which definition are you using?

: the main character in a novel, play, movie, etc.

: an important person who is involved in a competition, conflict, or cause

It looks like you have so much going for you. I hope that you are using the second definition, and that you are your biggest cause. You have the ability to contribute so much.

Wishing you the best!

Pork
Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

47 minutes is not "hours".
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When you are finally ready to quit for good, you will.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
47 minutes is not "hours".

It felt like hours!!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Serper, smoking and drinking do go awesomely hand in hand.

Last night I had a cigar while golfing, something I normally savored when having beer. Since I was drinking NA beer, I found I didn't enjoy the cigar. Quitting both will be tough at the same time (Ever seen "Clean and Sober"?) but may be a good approach. Beer is better with smoking, and smoking is better with beer. Ugh.

The shortening of sober cycles strikes me as someone losing their coping mechanisms, and therefore their hope that they can do this. I've heard the same about guys who have an affair. Doing it the first time is the hardest - each time after becomes easier, as they've psychologically crossed the barrier that keeps them from doing it in the first place.

Including social isolation, really the only person you let down when you recommence drinking is yourself. As us drinkers are typically good at self-loathing, we can take pride for the first (longest) sober period, then get used to the idea of ourselves failing. And if we're fine with letting ourselves down, then it gets easier and easier to relapse.

I see your situation as at a pretty critical juncture:
- Decide you have to change your life and make a commitment (and a plan) to no longer disappoint yourself. Based on your OP, I'd suggest a visit to the secular recovery forum here at SR might be a good next step, and can possibly give you a plan.
- Continue to self-loathe, have low expectations for your recovery, have difficulty imagining a life without alcohol, and continue to drink. At this point, you put yourself in a position where you may lose the ability to make choices. These choices may be made for you by a judge, social worker, probation officer, or mortician.

Sounds like you need a plan my friend, and this is a good place to start.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

my neuroscience background and hippocampal memory habituation research makes me believe otherwise. I can get into this research in private messages if you want, but I don't think that it's beneficial for newcomers because it does go against recovery dogma to some extent but I don't have an example that you may find interesting.

You seem pretty bright, but smart isn't going to get you sober. Quit thinking and quit drinking.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Carl - and it's not an anti-science or anti intellectualism message...it's just an acknowledgement of the fact that nothing works as well as action - in this case the action of not drinking.

If you have a parasite, you don't debate with it - you cut it out.

D
Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

If you have a parasite, you don't debate with it - you cut it out.

D
Or a tumor.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by porkchopped View Post
I appreciate your post! I guess I find it a bit intimidating, but I am going to pipe in anyway... Hahah. Science supports that a life free of alcohol and drugs is completely possible and healthy. Until science catches up with the penchant for self destruction, we are fortunate to find a community to discuss why we have a compulsion to touch a hot stove, despite repeatedly getting burned.

Drinking alcohol is a choice. Plan and simple. People can make excuses, rationalizations, create labels like the beast and AV, but ultimately it is about taking personal responsibility. Drinking or not drinking should be a small part of how individuals are defining themselves.

I find that the more I see people focus on this one element, the less I see people realize their larger potential. The real context should be: how and what can I contribute? Am I going perform at my best today at work? Will I make sure that I am demonstrating to the people I love that they have my caring and support? Am I being kind to myself and others? Am I contributing positive energy? (Insert "questions pertaining to lightening the burdens on yourself and others and the reinforcement of positive life choices")

If drinking does not align with these goals? Abstain. And then take any steps to help accomplish abstaining. No debate on methods necessary.

When you describe yourself as a protagonist, which definition are you using?

: the main character in a novel, play, movie, etc.

: an important person who is involved in a competition, conflict, or cause

It looks like you have so much going for you. I hope that you are using the second definition, and that you are your biggest cause. You have the ability to contribute so much.

Wishing you the best!

Pork
Really awesome post Pork!! I agree that drinking or not drinking should not define who I am. It's just a decision that I either have to make or not make....in this case I want to make the decision to abstain.....24 hours so far!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
. You won't see me posting to your thread with a simple "congrats on x days" -- not that those posts aren't valuable-- it's just that it's in my nature to fuel a discussion and discussion is always good as long as we are respectful.
You clearly didn't understand my point.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
Despite my opinions, I need to firmly and fully believe that I will never drink again under any circumstance, that is where your comments will help.
Do you prefer smart or intelligent conversation Serper? Regardless, it seems to me that within the realm of recovery, seeking and appreciating wisdom in all forms and from all disciplines rules the day. In my opinion it is wise to be considerate of any advice from those with sobriety success. Is this what you hope to conjure with this thread?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Serper2014
Despite my opinions, I need to firmly and fully believe that I will never drink again under any circumstance, that is where your comments will help.
See my signature, and PM me if you'd like.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
~Music is my mantra ----{-@

I do appreciate posts that say congratulations on x days and you can do it serper! However, at least in this thread, please direct your responses to ANYTHING I have said. I'm open for discussion about various things and I appreciate any personal stories that will help me finally make it this time.
Serper
My interpretation of what Serper said was that he/she appreciates the congratulatory posts, but was open for anyone to comment about anything he mentioned in his posts. It had nothing to do with him asking for compliments.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hmm I don't know...most things I think there is a rational explanation for, whether we know it or not..... but if we don't know the reason or cannot possibly know the reason then that's where wonder comes in...
I think my questions were trying to get at the idea that faith falls somewhere in mystery and uncertainty or the idea that magic is simply conjuring something from belief...to being. I believe that science and well, sometimes religion is seeking certainty where there really is none. Although I truly believe I need to be the manager of my recovery, I find relief in knowing that I am not the judge or boss of anything outside of myself. Although I am someone who leans far more into rational thought or common sense approaches, I know that a belief in an energy outside of my own self...or "I" center allows me to give up control. Somehow I think that the idea that we are not in charge of all things, that it is not up to us to solve, judge, fix, control that which is not in our own backyard is a place we find peace...and a little faith...just an acceptance that maybe something outside of ourselves holds an answer.

Hope that makes sense and I'm not just rambling incoherent drivel. Entirely possible as I'm weary minded today.