Notices

Ending a long love affair with wine...

Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Welcome hopefulkiwi! Did you ever read Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp? It was the first time I thought of quitting alcohol like a break-up, and it really helped me to see it that way. It took forever to get over my relationships, but I knew it could be done because I did it before, so it made me feel like I could get over alcohol too. I'm glad you made the decision to stop something that was making your life worse and that you were able to find us.
great book - read it not too long ago. My mom purchased it for me as I was a big ole wino myself
I did have to put it down a few times, it triggered me...but it was fleeting and I was able to read it within a few days. She really has a way with words when describing the "love affair"

Welcome!!! You're in good company around here
Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopefulkiwi View Post
Hello,

I am a long time reader and first time poster on SR.

I feel connected to many off you already and admire everyone that has attained sobriety.

I am a 36 year old mother of two gorgeous boys who I so desperately want to live for.

Wine has got a serious hold on me (for over 10 yrs now with breaks during pregnancy). I am a every second or third day binge drinker.
This behaviour is affecting my family, my marriage and my health.
I feel very run down, unfit and generally miserable.

I feel my relationship with the bottle is over indefinitely. It's not fun anymore.

It's stopped being fun...

I am looking forward to developing a plan which will enhance my life and give my boys the mother they deserve.

Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction.

Like you, I'm also a long time reader and first time poster. I think the best thing out of what you just posted is to remember that it's "not fun anymore". Because you (we) have reached this stage.. it can never be fun again. We can't reset it to when we first started drinking, when/if it was truly "fun". When we realize this and accept it, then we will realize we are not missing out on anything. Alcohol provides no advantages for us at all, and as you know pretty much every poster here can list an essay of reasons why they wanted to quit drinking. Basically what I am saying is is that it is easier to quit something if we realize we are not giving up anything of benefit. Alcohol dulls our senses, makes us dazed and confused, slurred speech, blackouts, brain damage, anxiety, depression, social phobias, makes any hint of a psychological disorder any of us have magnified in most cases.. where is the benefit?

Conversely, if someone offered you a "pill" at a party and described the advantages as making you clear headed, making you more intelligent and wittier, making your skin look better and generally improve your appearance, giving you energy, making you legitimately happier and more motivated, repairing any damage you have done to your mentality, making you more spiritually present, improving your memory, and all of this is just the tip of the iceberg.. that sounds like a pretty good "drug" doesn't it? Well, you get all of these advantages by not drinking.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

the wine was definitely NOT fun the last year or so. I even switched from red to white b/c my teeth were stained. my throat hurt from getting sick after one of my binges...probably all the acid reflux. I was nasty, mean, hurtful...who the hell wants that around them?
When my AV starts whispering sweet nothings in my ear again (I'm on day 66), I quickly shut it up with memories of how I was when drinking the last year. I was a wretched person, one I could barely stand to look in the mirror. I'm reminded I'm not giving up anything.

hang in there!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum hopefulkiwi!!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate I'm a 32 year old mother of 2. I have been sober for a little over 5 months. Welcome to the freedom from an unhealthy relationship!