Notices

I can't get past the cravings.....

Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't get past the cravings.....

I have wanted to be sober for a long time now but I cannot manage to get past the overwhelming and hugely powerful cravings. It is like something comes over me and I go onto auto-pilot until I have acquired alcohol and then I feel total despair that once again I am drinking. I am starting to get pretty hopeless of ever overcoming this affliction.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will be seeing my doc about getting some meds that supposedly help with cravings and will have to go back to AA because things are not changing for me. I don't want to get kicked out of my house so I really need to fix this mess soon.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What should an alcoholic do when cravings happen? What is the best defense?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Until you can see your doc try sweet foods like ice cream and exercise.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried Urge Surfing? Cravings don't last forever. They come and go. The next time one comes along get out a watch and time it. Mine never really lasted for more than a few minutes at a time. Once you begin to understand that you can just sit with a craving and not act upon it, it gets easier to resist. At least it worked like that for me.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Robert, are you simply sitting in thinking about alcohol? that never seemed to work for me, you need something to distract your mind.

You can do this!!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a parallel ongoing thread about cravings:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Mine were absolutely awful in the beginning, intense, long, and nearly everyday. You need to develop active strategies to cope with them, meds or not.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Robert;
I found I had to fill my time with "non-drinking" things because I had so much time on my hands that used to be drinking time. I felt lost.

So I joined a crossfit gym and exercised whenever I felt the cravings coming on.
That had many benefits besides distraction--I also started eating a Paleo-style diet
which, once I got through the carb withdrawal, really helped me deal with the urge to drink.

When I first stopped, I also used the ice cream / dried fruit as an "emergency" way to deal with the urge to drink.
Since booze metabolizes as sugar, my body had over 35 years of sugar stimulation from my drinking, so I didn't try to cut it out all at once.
I bought five pounds of dried figs, and gradually reduced how many I ate each day until
I finished the bag, and that really did help me deal with the "gotta have a drink right now or die" moments.

It is really hard in the beginning, but it does get easier over time.
Just don't give up and you will get there.