Notices

Do Not Get Complacent!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Do Not Get Complacent!

Hopefully this helps someone keep their sobriety going. Even if it's only for another day, another minute, or even just 30 seconds.

I used to be an incredibly active member of this forum around two years ago. I'd just come home after a three month stay in a residential rehab and I was clean, I was sober, and I felt brilliant. I supported people on this forum and in my day to day life. I was what some people termed a productive member of society. I was always willing to lend someone a hand or an ear, or a shoulder to cry on.

I got clean in May 2012. I relapsed in January 2014. What caused my relapse? The thought keeps running around in my head. I haven't got any excuses this time. I relapsed because I wanted to. My addict wanted to. I wanted to get loaded and have a good time, so I did.

I started dating a university student in January of this year. I gave her the standard 'I don't drink' conversation and she accepted it. But on her 21st birthday we went out for dinner and then the student union with a load of her mates. I'd already consciously made the decision earlier that day that I could have a few pints because I was doing well in life. I had a decent job, a car and a roof over my head. What hadn't changed was me....my addict was still there.

A good friend in recovery once said to me that men go out and use again for the hunnies and the money....and it was true. That's what I did. What followed were late nights, hungover drives to work and hiding things from my family. All of the stuff I used to do.

I was never a HUGE drinker. I drank heavily but it wasn't my drug of choice. I kidded myself into thinking this was ok. And I still am. I'm currently on a work training course. I'm staying in a hotel and I'm having a drink to get myself to sleep....what a crock of s**t.

I got complacent. I thought I was ok. I'm not. I never was. It was always there. It never went away. It just got replaced with recovery. And then when I got bored of that the complacency and justification came in.

So this is for all the people with a few hours clean, a few days clean, or a few months clean. Don't pick up because it ain't f**king worth it. You'll regret it just as I have done. It seems so simple and justifiable at the time but the worst feeling in the world, at least for me, is the feeling you have directly after you pick up that first drink or drug.

Call a friend, go to a meeting, do whatever you do to keep yourself straight but don't pick up. Just don't do it. Don't waste the effort you put in. Don't waste the courage you had. Just keep going one day at a time.

Natom.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for an amazing post. Youre absolutely right, the addiction will always be there. We always need to remember.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are back Natom - hope you can kick the night time drink soon.

I agree with your comments re complacency, a little dose of SR most days keeps me going- stops me listening to my own BS
Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Natom, welcome back!!

Sometimes we can think a period of abstinence has in some way fixed or cured us, but as you say you hadn't changed!!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Period of abstinence shcmabstinence. I was one of the people who used to find it funny that people thought they could use after a prolonged period of abstinence. I'm not laughing now!!! A phrase that has stuck with me is that whilst your in meetings or staying clean your addict is outside in the car park doing push-ups and it's true. Don't give in to your addict. It's always out to get you. Just mug it off and stay sober.

Natom
Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Natom.

Thank you for your post and reminding us to never put our guard down.

Just the other day I wondered how are doing, because haven't seen you posting for a long time.

Welcome back.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back, giving it another go.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

"I thought I was ok. I'm not. I never was. It was always there. It never went away."

Wise words Natom. I'm so happy you came back. I did the same thing years ago after 3 yrs. of sobriety. I started dating a person who didn't know my history, and decided to have a few glasses of wine. Off I went for 7 years of hell - until I found SR.

Thank you for a valuable post that will help many - me included. We are with you.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately lessons in sobriety are painfully learned and God knows I learned them the hard way.

Good to see you back and you speak the truth
Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for your words. I just relapsed after 3 months and I am very much struggling with wanting to drink again. I don't want to end up all the way back where I came from. I appreciate you sharing
Old 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back.
Are you doing ok now?

D
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Natom, I'm so glad you're back. I missed reading your posts.

What is your plan?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Natom and thanks for the strong reminder. I went back out drinking after some prolonged sobriety back in 2012 myself with the same result...I was back to maintenance drinking in a matter of month or so. The good news is I got another chance and took it, now I've got about a year and a half under my belt again.

You know what to do...we are here for you too, just as you were for others. And you can be that helper of others again too.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff, Natom..thank you for the post.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good to see you back Natom!
You will be OK.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you are back!!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tom I'm so glad you're back and posting...I'm one who has also thought of you from time to time.

So..where are you going from here? What are your plans?

Are you ready to stop?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad your back, Natom! Sorry about the circumstances. You and I joined SR at almost the exact same time! How are things now? Have to got back on the recovery train? I'm sorry you slipped but I'm glad you shared your story. It might help someone else.

I too like to lend an ear and a shoulder to lean on to the new members but in truth I benefit at least as much for the effort! I guess I need to stay just a little bit fearful, remember the danger if I ever start. Booze was my life in a lot of ways; every decision I made was organized around my need to drink. I never want to go back to those times again.

Be well, Natom. I hope you'll stick around SR.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I look forward to having you back in the forums!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Tom ,
Good to see you back , it's a sad about what happened . You can turn it round though m8

What we do today is the important thing .

Bestwishes, m