Notices

new here and wanted to meet some people

Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here and wanted to meet some people

Hi im new to the forum's. I just wanted to meet some people and get some ideas. I have been drinking for 3 years straight non stop. Im fed up with it. It has cause me nothing but trouble. I have worried about my health, and was wondering if it was to late for me to stop? Im 25 years old. Again I have been drinking for 3 years straight non stop, but today im making a stand. No more will i give into that little voice in my head. I guess what im trying to do on these forum's is get some ideas, questions and support. Any help I can get from all of yoy I would be vary gracefull! Thank you all!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR. It is definitely not too late for you to stop, many people drink for decades before they realize their problem. You have a golden opportunity to turn things around with basically your entire life in front of you.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Startinganew! Ha! 25", you lucky duck to be realizing your problem at that age! I am 49 and have been drinking for 30 years! I have never tried to quit before, just kept ignoring that enormous elephant in my living room. I am on Day 4 and feeling wonderful! I am so optimistic that this forum with provide support that I need when I am not at a meeting! Best wishes to you! You will be in my prayers! ��. You can do it!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott. Im just at my bottom, and trying to find a way back up to the top. Im sick of feeling bad everyday. Im ready for something different. Thank you for your supportive words.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You mentioned in your first post about "that voice in your head." Around here, we call that your "addictive voice" or "AV." There is a program of recovery called "Rational Recovery" that believes overcoming the AV is all you need for sobriety. You can find more about it in the Secular section of this forum. I strongly recommend the "AVRT Crash Course."
Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank almost daily for ten years, and thirteen alcoholically before that.
A 23 year drinking career. Things slowly got worse and worse. Still I drank.
So, of course it's not to late for you to stop. It I is a chance to start a new life, though. How I wish I saw the misery, fear and anxiety that awaited me at your age. The lost relationships and opportunities. I was either drunk or recovering for all those years.
Maybe see a doctor and be brutally honest about your drinking. You may have withdrawal concerns for drinking so much for so long.

You can make it through. Start a new sober life. Live. Love. Rediscover what you've been missing.
Best to you my friend. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the decision. As for advice, any sort of support is an essential ingredient in recovery. That may mean posting regularly on a site such as this, going to meetings (whichever sort of meeting you are most comfortable with), talking to people around you, asking support from friends and family. Asking for help is often the most difficult thing but it truly helps. Also, keep in mind that your recovery is your own. There is no "one size fits all" solution. Figure out what is most conducive to your recovery and cultivate the things that are life-affirming and beautiful in your life.