Notices

Spread the word

Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spread the word

A lot of us drank, or used drugs in an attempt to not feel some sort of unpleasant feeling or thought. I would guess that a lot of, if not most of us were raised in a dysfunctional family, whether that be abuse, neglect, abandonment... These things come in MANY forms, and I've learned that addiction is just one of many traits of a person who grew up in such a home.

gerlach - YouTube

Peter Gerlach is a veteran therapist who has worked with people for over thirty years. Above is a large collection of videos describing the problems that can develop when someone is raised in a dysfunctional household, and how to heal those wounds. He also has a non profit site that he mentions in many of his videos, I'm starting to work through it right now and wanted to spread the word.

Remember; Simply being sober is not enough, addiction is a symptom of some underlying problem, this is a great, free resource. Share and spread the word to others who may benefit.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There was a thread recently with a list of questions to define how dysfunctional your childhood/family was, it gave a score from 1 to 10, the results were pretty mixed to be fair.

I guess a dysfunctional family can indeed cause addicitons, but not all addictions are the result of a dysfunctional family!!

I always find this stuff interesting!!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't personally think that addiction is any respecter of family background, one way or another. Just me.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Great thread but it's my opinion there is no such thing as a non dysfunctional family. Just varying degrees.

Interesting too that I know people who grew up in the lesser dysfunctional type who have addiction problems and I also know those who were in extremes who have no addictive tendencies (that I know of).

Still interesting to read studies though.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LDT

My family of origin put the "dys" in dysfunction .... Or more accurately, put the "non" in nonfunctional....I'm an alcoholic..... Will read that link. Thanks, Admiral.