Notices

Oxycodone - Looking for Answers -- Where Do I Go/Post?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxycodone - Looking for Answers -- Where Do I Go/Post?

Hi -- I am so glad I found this site. Looking for some answers and direction. Until recently, I've never had to deal with addiction or recovery issues.

I am (was) a generally healthy 51 y.o. male. I have Type 1 diabetes, but it is under control and has never been a serious problem.

A little less than 4 weeks ago while on vacation in Hawaii, I suffered a ruptured blood vessel at the base of my brain, which caused blood to flood into my skull. Luckily, I do not have an aneurism, and the doctors think that my brain will fully recover.

At the time of the event, I was put on a variety of pain medication, including morphine, Oxycontin and Oxycodone. After 12 days in the hospital, I was released to return to California with a bottle of Oxycodone -- 20mg every 4 hours (120mg) "as needed for pain." I met with my GP when I got home and he said that I could reduce to 20mg every six hours (80mg), and then to 20mg every 8 hours (60mg). I still have no pain in my head from the original condition, so I really don't need it for pain. However, because I started to suffer from severe anxiety, depression, crying, helplessness, etc., I sought out the advice of a psychiatrist. She immediately focused on the Oxycodone and has me on a withdrawal regimen to get off the drug over a 2 week period. I am now down to 20mg/day (cutting 5mg every three days), and she has prescribed a small does of Ativan (1.5 mg/day) to help with the depression/anxiety.

I have good days, but I have more bad days. Today, I am stuck in a depression cycle and can't stop crying. I feel lonely and helpless, despite support from a loving family. I know that I need to take it one day at a time, but despite the short time frame, I feel like I will never be myself again.

Any thoughts or support from anyone would be very welcome. I am on work disability until August 4th. Should I be attending support groups (and how do I find them), or doing this through an in-house treatment center/ I know that sounds very dramatic given that my short addiction, but I am very scared.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! We also have a specific substance abuse forum that might be able to answer your questions. I'm glad you joined us because the support here is awesome.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I know you will find support here.

You can always google aa.org and/or na.org for meeting information if you like. There is also lots of support here so continue to read and post.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome thumbun

I have no oxy experience but I think in general people gravitate in recovery to what they feel most comfortable with

For some thats some kind of rehab; for others, it's a 12 step programme like NA, or a non 12 step programme like SMART Recovery, or LifeRing, or Rational Recovery.

All of these can be easily googled

For others, the understanding and support from places like this (SR) helps...either on it's own or in a mix and match situation.

You may want to also check out our substance abuse forum too for more experience and support

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D