Notices

Try again?

Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Try again?

Hello. At the end of last year I decided it was time to get sober, I had had enough. I had been drinking almost every day for twenty years and the depression in isolation was getting unbearable. Being stuck in the Midwest during the middle of winter wasn't helping. I felt I was ready and decided to hit a meeting . I went to two meetings a day for thirty days. I was feeling better, had a sponsor and a few sober friends. On day 31 without an internal argument with myself I stopped and got some beer. It was really depressing as well as relieving. I felt as though all of my energy was revolving around trying not to drink where as just drinking was easier, less stressful. Has anyone else been dealing with this situation? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi DJSid, I did not experience this but it does not strike me as crazy. Were you working the steps? What sorts of other changes had you made in your life? Are you ready to try again? What will you do differently this time?

I am glad you are here. You did 30 days before; you can do 30 days (and a lot more) now!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by DJSid View Post
I felt as though all of my energy was revolving around trying not to drink where as just drinking was easier, less stressful.
Of course drinking is easier. But if you don't think you are expending a lot of energy to maintain your addiction, think again.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt that way a lot. I spent all this energy fighting the urge to drink and wasn't really enjoying life. When I stopped fighting the urge and rode them instead it got easier. I Realize that they are going to happen. I Understand that they will pass if I focus on something else for a bit. It isn't easy but when I gave in, it got better. Like the advice they give if you are caught in a rip current. Don't fight it. You will only exhaust yourself and be at a huge risk of drowning. Follow along with the current sideways. It may take you away from the point where you want to go, but you stand a better chance of surviving.

Like being angry. I can either hold on to my anger and be miserable and yet still relishing it, or I can take a deep breath, surrender to the fact that I am angry, take a walk around the block. It helps.

You did thirty days which is great. Did you feel really overwhelmed with two meetings a day? Maybe one a day? Hang in there.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By giving in to the urge, I don't mean that I drank. I mean that I surrendered to the fact that I can't drink safely.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I don't think drinking is easier. Convincing ourselves that self-destruction is good for us takes a lot of mental gyrations. But, we're acclimated to it.

Sobriety is so much easier. But we're not acclimated to it.

When people climb tall mountains there are always days spent not climbing. Those are acclimation days. You hang around camp and acclimate to the altitude. Then you can go higher.

We have to acclimate to sobriety from chronic drinking. It takes time and you might have to take a day off from the climb. As long as you don't head back down the mountain, you're fine.

Crawl out of the tent, lace up your boots, start climbing again. You can reach the top of the world.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It helped me a lot to understand that alcoholism doesn't define me. I'm a lot more than that. And so are you. I don't have to think about it every single second. There is more to me than that. And there is more to you also. Occupy your head with all those other things that you are. No it's not easy.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me I had to not merely abstain from drinking and cling on for dear life, instead I needed to start a new lifestyle, new activities, new things to do in life, sitting thinking about drinking in all the time we now have is very difficult, whereas if you have new activities planned and fill your evenings/weekends with things to do then longterm results are more likely!!

Go at it again, you'll get there!!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the replies and encouragement! There are a lot of meetings in the OC area and Im planning on going to one tomorrow night after work. I was going to two meetings a day because I was trying to occupy my time and that seemed to be a good distraction. I think I will start hitting daily meetings, I know I need to stop isolating and being antisocial even when Im not drinking. I have also been looking into sober groups on meetup as well as getting back into martial arts. My problem is I drink when Im bored then I start to isolate and repeat. I really need to get out of this self-destructive cycle and start enjoying life again!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Sounds like a great plan DJSid - glad you are here!