Notices

31 Days-Thoughts and a Prayer

Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

31 Days-Thoughts and a Prayer

Hello All,
It has been 31 days today and I feel many positive emotions. Empowered, free, and very grateful. I know some but not all of you are working various programs, as well as working with the SR forum. There is a lot of power here.
I read the AA 24 hours a day book every morning and todays post has to do with becoming "childlike". I will quote:
" In this saying it is urged that all who seek heaven on earth (serenity and peace in our daily lives) or in the hereafter, should become like little children. In seeking things of the spirit and in our faith, we should try to become more childlike."
I thought about this as I start Day 31 of sobriety and thought of two things we see in little children that we seem to lose as we age, and especially as we embrace alcohol. That would be unbounded trust, and living in the now, in the moment. Kids don't worry about what happened two weeks ago, or if they can pay the bills in two weeks, they live in the moment.They also are able to trust without fear. There are two powerful lessons here for anyone in recovery. I went for many, many years unable to trust. The people closest to me in my life had let me down, and I turned to alcohol. I went through a particularly dark time 36 years ago (it seems like yesterday, the sting still lingers) and I was totally betrayed by someone I loved and trusted impeccably. I had been using alcohol prior to that, but totally immersed myself in it during that time. For 3 years I buried my pain in booze, and just wanted to die. Alcohol was the only "friend" I could trust. No matter where I was, no matter what the season, or time of day, the feeling I got when I drank was rock solid and always the same. I found that the only thing I could really trust was that first drink. I had given up on any higher power, and thought the answers were all inside me.
I also never lived my life NOW. My NOW was always drinking, drunk, or planning my next binge. Obsessed about the past, and scared about the future, I drowned my emotions in alcohol, it was always there when I "needed" it.
We can all take a look at our children, grandchildren and those little ones around us and pay attention. They are showing us lessons, they spell love: TIME. We need to spend time with them, and learn the secret to heaven on earth, peace and serenity. Live NOW, and trust in our higher power, however we see that manifesting. I just wanted to share a few thought on Day 31 of my sobriety.
Here is aprayer to share from the 24 Hours a Day book for today:
"I pray that I may become like a child in faith and hope. I pray that I may, like a child, be friendly and trusting."
Thank You all for your support. Very gratefully, BSA.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 31 Days!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 31 days BSA

D
Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrat's!!!
I'm at the same benchmark 31 days for my drug of choice and I know what a challenge it can be yet a rewarding one at that. Thank-you for sharing your personal experience it was very helpful and is much appreciated. Glad you also found help out here!

NorthernGirl76
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey BlueSkiesAhead Thanks for the inspiration!

31 Days is amazing. Keep it going One day at a time.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 31 days!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Loved your post - congratulations on 31 days!