Notices

Friend addicted to weed

Old 06-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend addicted to weed

So my best friend has been smoking weed every day since we were about 17. So he's knocking on six years now. Aside from the damage those joints are doing to his health (not from the weed, but when somebody smoked nearly a 20 spot a day with tobacco in each joint, that's a lot of tobacco).

He has a full time job, but he doesn't have a flat although he could easily afford it. He instead either sleeps at his parents house (he's 24) or crashes at a friends or his new girlfriends place. I'm fairly sure he's still with her for that reason.

He cannot afford a flat because he spends all his money on weed.

The other day he had left weed here and my girlfriend had moved it somewhere when tidying. He came over and when we couldn't find it, I saw a desperation in him I'd never noticed before. He seemed extremely agitated and practically turned my flat upside down before I found it.

So, what's the best way to approach this problem?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my opinion just tell him you are concerned. I mean, he may not like to hear it at all, but it is the truth. If he wants to make a change only he can do that and the best a friend could do is show support and try to put the thought in his head that he may have a problem.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Close family members told me many times that they were concerned about my drinking, but nothing changed until I made the decision to sort it out myself, but somewhere in there those comments may have helped to turn the corner, who knows!!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Share your concern. Speak with him about it and then let it go. At least you have shared your feelings. He won't stop until he is ready and wants it himself.

Cannabis is an EXTREMELY demotivating substance and can be just as psychologically addictive as other drugs, so you are right to be concerned. Good luck.