Notices

End of day 6, forgot I used to drink!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

End of day 6, forgot I used to drink!

The withdrawals are over. And the cool thing is, I noticed that even after only 6 days, my days of drinking seem like a distant memory.

I attended a party. There was alcohol. I didn't have any urge to drink. I barely noticed that apart from the other beverages, there were alcoholic ones as well.

This is great! Earlier today I had a sense of the urge. And my response to it was to find it hilarious. I almost started laughing out loud. What a ridiculous urge to have!

So I'm clean, no withdrawals and don't care about booze anymore.

Cool sh*t.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Soo many people join this Forum looking for what you've just discovered hj003, with 6 Days you've found an acceptance of not needing or wanting alcohol anymore!!

It's fantastic, keep it going!!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Soo many people join this Forum looking for what you've just discovered hj003, with 6 Days you've found an acceptance of not needing or wanting alcohol anymore!!

It's fantastic, keep it going!!
Thanks purpleknight. It was easy for me because of the shift in my attitude and intent. Once I shifted those into going for what is good for me, the rest just happened.

I made a shift. And from there on it has become the way it is.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going well HJ.

Not saying you are, but my advice is to not get lulled into complacency
Doesn't hurt to be a little vigilant, just in case rough seas suddenly loom up ahead

D
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad things are going well HJ.

Not saying you are, but my advice is to not get lulled into complacency
Doesn't hurt to be a little vigilant, just in case rough seas suddenly loom up ahead

D
I've made that one of the things I look out for. I am ready for rough seas. I can handle them. I've gone through worse. Much worse. Life or death kind of stuff I don't want to talk about.

I could handle that, so the rough seas you mention will be barely noticeable small waves in comparison.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly admire your self confidence hj
best wishes to you

D
Old 06-21-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just remember who's boss!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt the same way and posted about it. I had no interest in alcohol then on day 12 I started wanting it again and getting mad I couldn't drink. I ended up slipping on day 13....I am so ashamed!!!! Ive decided to get on medication, probably antabuse. Best wishes your way, and maybe you'll keep feeling this way. That would be wonderful. Yes, look out for complacency.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know the feeling of the attitude shift. I discontinued my drinking many times, but on 6/8/14 I posted a thread here explaining that I was 100% sure this time I was done for good. There was something in me that I just knew I was done. It's hard to explain because I see so many people post on here and they thought they were done too and then they post about relapses. It's scary. I attended a party on day 10 and wow did I have the urge to drink...but only because it was free. But now with 2 weeks under my belt, I'm well out of the withdrawals and not drinking each night has become the norm. The 588 consecutive drunk nights seem so far away now. I am happy, but I won't be attending events with free alcohol again. Something about free is really hard to resist, maybe it's because I come from a poor background. Congrats on day 6. For me, day 9 and 10 I had a bit of a depression slip in, but it went away. Drinking wouldn't have made it better anyway
Old 06-21-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome hj, congrats on 6 days. And yes, it really does feel amazing after the hell we put ourselves through when drinking.

Not sure how long drinking has been a problem for you, but identifying why you used alcohol in the first place is helpful. You say you've already been through a lot in life, so giving up drinking will be "barely noticeable small waves"?

That doesn't make sense. You started drinking for a reason, and those reasons will come up to be dealt with sober. I don't mean to burst your bubble in any way, you've made a positive and HUGE first step.

Don't underestimate what others have been through also...and ALL of us have ultimately abused alcohol for a reason, mate.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Surviving the Pink Cloud in Recovery | Alcohol Rehab
Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Welcome hj, congrats on 6 days. And yes, it really does feel amazing after the hell we put ourselves through when drinking.

Not sure how long drinking has been a problem for you, but identifying why you used alcohol in the first place is helpful. You say you've already been through a lot in life, so giving up drinking will be "barely noticeable small waves"?

That doesn't make sense. You started drinking for a reason, and those reasons will come up to be dealt with sober. I don't mean to burst your bubble in any way, you've made a positive and HUGE first step.

Don't underestimate what others have been through also...and ALL of us have ultimately abused alcohol for a reason, mate.

Like I also mentioned.... ^^^ I recently went through this pink cloud.... and when I came off it I came and posted on here for help. I might have relapsed otherwise. Just be aware and good luck.

-Serper
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post

Thanks. What I meant by "barely noticeable small waves" is that I've gone through very bad things and was able to handle them quite well. And it didn't leave a trauma. I've resolved it.

Compared to what I went through, alcohol cravings are a very minor thing. Still, I did come to realize to not underestimate it.

And I might have a bit of a pink cloud experience. I'm not sure how long my drinking period was, but I think it's about 5 years. It has no relationship to the bad things I mentioned btw. Drinking wasn't a way to cope for example.

I'll be careful though. Today I woke up feeling pretty damn good. The only withdrawal symptom that was left (sweating a lot) has gone away as well.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well it sounds like you have had a mental shift you need to quit for good. I would suggest continuing whatever's been working so far...That's one area I failed in. I had so little interest in drinking I felt like I was beating a dead horse by still working at it.

I also went too far tempting myself. I had caffeine and kava that day. The combination has always made me want to drink in the past. Plus I'd gotten some alcohol fantasies the day before. It's not like I was hit with an obsession out of nowhere. My attitude toward alcohol had become more positive the days before I slipped. But I only had that one day slip and back to not wanting it. The depression I felt the next morning was definitely not worth it