Notices

on the 8th day of sobriety... a little frustred.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

on the 8th day of sobriety... a little frustred.

I'm good, feeling better day by day, but I have to remind myself I have no business worrying about what others think of me. Not in regards to my drinking, just their own distorted views of things. Kind of a "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" situation I'm going through with my son's mother friends and family.

It's thinks like this that would get me worked up before and give me an excuse to drink. Not today though. I can't control anything beyond myself. Some people just really **** me off saying things and making accusations about things they no nothing about.

Like I said before, I have to reminding myself to just let it go. Not my problem. But, I am human and it does hurt sometimes.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good awareness.

hang in there and you're right; others' views of us aren't in our control and really aren't our 'business'.

if they cause direct issues in our lives, sometimes others' views may need to be addressed.... but for the most part we're better off just putting a bubble around ourselves and focus on being the best we can be for ourselves, for our loved ones and for the world.

note that it all starts with ourSELVES.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeap, people will always have opinions and we can't get away sometimes from hearing them, and life itself will always have stress, whether it be family, work etc etc

The main thing is finding a way to get through and live a Sober life despite all of this going on, it can be done, alcohol doesn't have to be the go to option anymore.

Great job on Day 8!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If staying away from them is an option I say go for it.

Why not clean up your entourage? I sure won't hang around a holes that I don't need to.

Great job on your sobriety!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

People are the hardest thing to deal with sober
Old 06-21-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really wish I could control what others do and say.

Wait. No I don't. That would be flipping exhausting.

Instead I pray for them. I pray they will find peace and serenity and faith.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When my alcoholic haze wore off and I had entered fully on to the journey of sobriety it was eye-opening to realize how many "personalities" were out there....some I just wanted to hug while others I wanted to punch in the throat Congrats on your sober time...you are doing great!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job, Serotonin. And congrats on 8 days. The hardest and best thing for me is relearning how to experience negative BS for what it is--temporary negative BS--without reaching for the even more temporary fix (which is even more BS ). Keep up the great work. The BS won't disappear but it will dry up and become easier to fling away
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, you know the old saying, opinons are like......and everyone has one. It's one of the reasons I've pretty much removed myself from most social media, it's mostly just gossip and opinion. It's harder to ignore it in real life, but as others have mentioned it is possible to simply not associate with the major offenders. Great work on. Day 8!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on day 8 also and going through the same thing. I just stopped answering the phone and cannot listen to what they say...it just brings me down. I know I have failed in the past, and can't really blame them when their first question is "are you drinking?", but how about just saying how are you? Simple.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
If staying away from them is an option I say go for it.

Why not clean up your entourage? I sure won't hang around a holes that I don't need to.

Great job on your sobriety!
They're really not people I choose to associate with. They just happen to be the people who my son's mother lives with and who have been helping her get on her feet for the past 18 months. My son stays there part time so I have to deal with them regardless.

We are working on becoming a family again and she (my kids mom) has had some mental health issues she is working on herself. She has come a long way and is very supportive of my sobriety and wanting to be a family.

So to hear the unfounded negativity can be unsettling but I won't let it mess me up.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days! Isn't it amazing how negative people love to use you as an "emotional landfill."
In the past I would just get smashed and then it wouldn't matter what they said, I could handle it. Until I couldn't.
Now I just try to accept them the way they are and realize they will never change. Tune out the noise and concentrate on the positive of putting your family back together. That's the most important thing.....
Acceptance makes it easier for me, maybe it will for you as well. Good luck.