Notices

Newcomer-Aaron

Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey Aaron...I'm 25 and have been drug and alcohol free for two years. was drinking/using for about seven years before i got sober.

if you live in a city, there is probably a young people's meeting of AA. you can definitely find like-minded, recovering young people there.

remember that in AA, "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." nothing else is necessary. there are atheistic members, as well as people who do not work the 12 steps but come to meetings to meet and talk with other sober people.

possibly worth investigating...you don't need to "join" or make any commitment in order to go to a meeting
Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back Aaron

D
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah, decided I would check on the forum tonight. just got done with some Schoolwork.
Was on the computer anyways.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i definitely didn't mean to push you into AA or anything like that...i apologize if i came off that way. i've got no agenda...i just hope you can get some relief, whether in or out of AA. i don't think it really matters "how" we get sober...different programs and different strategies work for different people.

i went to two "normal" AA meetings, decided it was not for me, then relapsed ten weeks later. after relapsing, i decided to check out a young people's meeting, met some good people, and decided to stick around. ymmv

wishing you all the best. congratulations on 9 months...thats huge!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks. Its actually been a little more than 10 months as of today.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, my first year of sobriety has come and gone. What Ive noticed is that, lately Ive been having more memories of when I was using.
Honestly, I dont miss that life nor my old friends, nor the impairment that came with being intoxicated.
On the other hand, I dont have much of a Social Life, and sometimes that can be hard. The upside is that Im learning so much more about myself.
For instance, as of late I realized that I am an Introvert, and that I tend to be picky about who Ill socialize with anyways.
Surely, this is a contributing factor. At any rate, for once in my life Im showing promise, and I owe most of it to my new clarity and sobriety.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Aaron; glad to hear that things are going well.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your year Aaron

I found I had the life I wanted - it was a little quieter than my old life but then I was a little quieter too.

If you're a little more garrulous there's nothing to stop you making new friends and rebuilding your social life....there's a lot of people out there who drink normally and sparingly, or not at all

D
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Aaron, welcome. its so great that you are aware enough to get clean and sober. I' m 52 and only just getting sober.

I think 9 months is amazing, well done.

There are lots of people here with more experience than me when it comes to dealing with dissatisfaction at the nine month stage, but from what I've read, it is to be expected, as you are discovering emotions that have been dumbed down because of the drink and drug use.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on a year Aaron thats seriously amazing dude