# 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank because of everything.
Alcohol became my universal tool...and then I became a universal tool, too

D
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I drank because I am an alcoholic and this is what active alcoholics do when things don't go their way or when things are great...they drink.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Initially, I drank for the effect. And in the end, I still drank for the effect. But I guess there was always a reason. And those reasons are a multitude. I drank for X reason(s), but the effect was always the foremost reason, I guess.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Metium
that I am an alcoholic for the simple reason that I drank too much for too long and it got me in the end.
Same here. Like the chinese proverb, I first took a drink and then the drink took me.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I drank cause that's what you did. Mum drank dad drank uncles aunties. Everything I watched when I was little good bad and the ugly well they drank. So when I grow up I want to be just like them , so I did. See I was one of those kids that couldn't wait to grow up I even pretended to smoke with mum. Copied everything that's what I had to look up to so for sure I drank. I first started drinking with my parents at 15. The first time I realised I was so sick of drinking was when I found out I was pregnant with my fourth child, I had a sense of being relieved I was expecting so I had a break from drinking. But then I couldn't wait to have my baby so I could drink again. Drink was everywhere and everyone I knew did it god knows how I even got out of it cause their all still going and think I'm waaaaay to hard on myself !!!!! Haha hard on myself would to continue on the insanity of wanting to die killing myself missing out on my kids being selfish forever omg I could go on.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I drink therefore I am. That used to be me.

No more to that. I just am what I am now.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

For the first decade of my drinking I drank because it was fun. Then for the second decade I started to drink as a way of coping with stress and anxiety, and that paved the way for the last 5 years of my drinking because my body and mind demanded it..period! To not only cope with stress and anxiety, but to just plain cope with everyday living.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I drank to get drunk. No real reason other than that. Drinking just 2 or 3 beers was pointless.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Alcohol treats alcoholism

Yea, it's destructive, but..
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I drank because it was exciting, made conversation fun, made me want to dance and laugh. It was very freeing. Later I drank because I wasn't happy with my life. I was sure I could find the relief in the bottle. Now I'm sober because it's true and authentic. I'm reclaiming a life that is good without the highs and lows of alcohol.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I drank because I was awake.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You know, I have no idea anymore!

I used to be really careful with booze in my teens and early 20's, I hated that room spinning feeling when I had had too much. I developed a friendship with a guy who drank way more than me, and then so did I, too often, tolerance to booze grew. I remember to the day that I stepped over the line, bought a bottle and drank it on the way home, its as vivid as the keyboard infront of me now, I was 27, thats 30 years ago, I hardly stoppped over that period.

So why did I drink? Because I lost the ability to cope without it, until now.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I drank to deal with...intolerable psychic and physical pain. Even when I arrived at a day when I thoroughly understood the desire to no longer be, I still kept alcohol in my back pocket as my trump card. Now I am truly letting go of the illusion of control, one moment at a time. When I look back and examine my relationship with alcohol, I can see how it became my trump card for anything and everything from the first sip.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Crumbs that's a toughie!!!! & mine's a bit more complicated, too many reasons but I may pluck up the courage to spill the beans!!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I used drugs to prevent time/life from slipping through my fingers..

(I thought using drugs would help to make it all go slower, boy was I wrong)