Notices

Hopeless

Old 06-10-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopeless

Ive been a heavy drinker for years and years. Stopped, started again etc etc. Ive always held down my job, thought that my relationships held together,I was functioning. Now im falling apart. My drinking is gradually spiraling into a dark place, I have been drinking earlier and earlier. One day last week I started at 7 in the morning, went to work drank all day and still functioned, I have no idea how. A few weeks ago I was at dinner with my wife and daughter and told them I had a drink problem, my wife has known for years and my daughter was not surprised. Last night I drank a bottle of wine and half a bottle of whiskey. This morning as always I feel like Crap.

Pulled over on the way to work, utterly bemused by my life, I dont want to drink but cant seem to stop. As I sat there I thought about my drinking and that I could not imagine my life without it, what life, the way I am living my life is not living its existing, covering up, lying, slowly killing myself, what a waste.

I just need to stop for good and reclaim my life, thanks for reading.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Grok! You may not know it but your post may be the first step you take to freeing yourself from an awful and terrible trap! Not being able to imagine life without alcohol is a result of your addiction, nothing else. Alcohol will convince you it is your friend and that you can't manage without it, all the while slowly poisoning you to death and making your life hell as it does so. It is an awful substance once it gets a hold.

The amazingly good news is that thousands of people to stop and free themselves from the trap! You are not alone!

There are lots of ways to do it and people will no doubt suggest them here. Personally I use AA and it is working for me.

Why not look AA up on-line of a local phone book and chat to someone about your drinking - every area has a link number. It may feel like a hard thing to do, but you will find a helpful and willing volunteer at the other end of the line who has been through the very same thing themselves!

You can beat this!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI Grok and welcome, It is great your are posting and here. Keep posting and reading. You will be surprised how different you will feel when you get a couple of weeks sober.

Are you going to talk to your doctor about your plans to quit drinking and reclaiming your life?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem Grok

I think many of us found it hard to imagine life without drinking but it really is possible

There's a ton of support understanding - and hope - here

I'm really glad you found us

D
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome, Grock! I have good news for you. Many people have found themselves in your same position and have recovered and found a way of life where they can live a life full of purpose. Do you feel that you have the capacity to be honest? Are you willing to be willing?

I was a pretty terrible drunk. I drank round the clock. I did everything I could to look okay on the outside but I was a mess and eventually, my black, twisted illness inside took over my life to the point that I lost days, even weeks of memories. I figured I was dead and honestly, I already was.

I've met a lot of sober alcoholics here and in AA that have stories similar to yours and mine. We're really quite similar when you strip away the details. You can get sober like so many of us have. Welcome and stick around!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grok View Post
Ive been a heavy drinker for years and years. Stopped, started again etc etc. Ive always held down my job, thought that my relationships held together,I was functioning. Now im falling apart. My drinking is gradually spiraling into a dark place, I have been drinking earlier and earlier. One day last week I started at 7 in the morning, went to work drank all day and still functioned, I have no idea how. A few weeks ago I was at dinner with my wife and daughter and told them I had a drink problem, my wife has known for years and my daughter was not surprised. Last night I drank a bottle of wine and half a bottle of whiskey. This morning as always I feel like Crap.

Pulled over on the way to work, utterly bemused by my life, I dont want to drink but cant seem to stop. As I sat there I thought about my drinking and that I could not imagine my life without it, what life, the way I am living my life is not living its existing, covering up, lying, slowly killing myself, what a waste.

I just need to stop for good and reclaim my life, thanks for reading.
Welcome Grok, just wanted to wish you a warm welcome.

I too couldnt imagine my life without drink, it seemed the most impossible thing to get by, the imaginary mountain I had to climb. Turns out even tho there are difficult days (I'm only 23 days sober) life is a lot better so far without it.

I feel Leigh (me) slowly creeping back, Just being able to feel - laughing, feeling sad, happy, low - some feelings not the greatest but all mine and not because I'm drunk or hungover.

Stick here, its been my saviour (along with AA) and because I want it.

Wishing you well.

One day at a time.

L x
Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi Grok. I once thought I could never do it in a million years, but it's possible xx
Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi grok . It really is possible you know .

Read through here SR , to see the results on many blogs .

Wishing you well , you can do this xx
Old 06-10-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Grok
What courage it takes to admit that we have a problem and post as you have done.
A life without alcohol is not only possible but infinitely better, more rewarding and potentially a lot longer than the hard daily slog that is the prison of the problem drinker.
In the end i had come to hate the life that i was leading with all of it's pain and desperation and deceit.
You have taken the first step to freedom by facing up your problem and reaching out..
Read here about how many of us did the same and are now living sober with hope, self respect and each other in our lives.
Life without alcohol is REAL life and tastes so much sweeter.
And a bit of sour we can deal with...
Well done.
G
Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Grok! I existed for many years, I know that feeling well.

It all starts with day one. Hang in there and take it one day at a time.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, I went to my doctor for help, so he gave me valium (diazopan) to help me quit, that seemed swapping one addiction for potentially another, so I threw them away and carried on drinking, not much help. However had a letter from him last week asking me to come in for some routine blood tests so maybe he was listening after all.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The Valium will have been prescribed to help with the symptoms of withdrawal. Did he not discuss the process with you?

Some people do find it harder to stop on their own. You might want to consider the sort of support AA provides. Much info on line including local phone contacts and meetings.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Grok...

welcome to SR. You're amongst friends. Friends who 'get it'.... we really do.

You took a strong and powerful step coming here and typing those words. Going to your doctor was another. You're making the right moves.

I agree with some of the others who have suggested AA. Having real face-to-face support, hearing others' stories, getting some good energy in a group setting have all been helpful to me in getting off the mad carousel.

You don't have to keep up this empty, hollow 'life'. On the other side of the chasm you fear (that of the journey across to sobriety) is an ACTUAL life that is richer than you can imagine. And the crossing isn't nearly as scary as that voice of booze in your head is telling you.

Let's make today a sober day.

Talk to you soon.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

that valium would have been a short term thing, as said, it would help you not to have severe withdrawal symptoms.....

talk with your doctor and take written notes
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Grok, welcome to SR
Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's 7pm here in the uk now. Still feel like crap but had some food and so far no drink. Thanks for your comments, they really help. Check in tomorrow, hopefully for day 2.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Grok and congratulations on completing day 1

Will be looking out for your day 2 check-in post tomorrow!