Notices

Scheduled a physical for tomorrow

Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scheduled a physical for tomorrow

Finally got the nerve to do it, I had put this off for years because I was afraid of what I might find out in terms of damage my drinking had done to myself, but now that I want to be sober, I have to know. I think it will be important for my sobriety to know. Sort of nervous, but ultimately I think this will prove helpful.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A physical is a great idea. Don't worry about the results and know that by staying sober you are increasing your health.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's a way to start...

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Finally got the nerve to do it, I had put this off for years because I was afraid of what I might find out in terms of damage my drinking had done to myself, but now that I want to be sober, I have to know. I think it will be important for my sobriety to know. Sort of nervous, but ultimately I think this will prove helpful.
Getting a baseline on your overall health is important. I decided I needed to quit for REAL FOREVER and ALWAYS this year because my 65th birthday was looming. I had put on half of the 60 lbs I lost, and did not want to be in that condition for my yearly physical ( I call 'em PMI's from the military)
I straightened up my act for 10 weeks, lost 22 lbs (to a normal BMI). My labs came out all right, had my EKG and C-Ray, plus the usual thumps and listens on the inside. I am not in bad shape, except for my osteo arthritis, my non existent lumbar disks, and skin so thin it bleeds occasionally when I bump something too hard.
So just buck up and face the music. I'm sure you are apprehensive , but sometimes you just gotta put on your big girl pants and deal with it. Maybe you lucked out and have a strong liver now, but why push it?
Good luck
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. I hope it turns out well.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great idea SHF. I found it to be a huge relief to share with my Dr and just let it all out. They have seen it many times before, and most likely applaud you for making the decision.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Great idea SHF. I found it to be a huge relief to share with my Dr and just let it all out. They have seen it many times before, and most likely applaud you for making the decision.
Thanks. Yeah, I think it will be a sense of relief just to finally know where things stand and that they will certainly improve by not drinking
Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I think it will be a sense of relief just to finally know where things stand and that they will certainly improve by not drinking
I had my 1 year follow up checkup about a month ago after my first appointment. My blood pressure has normalized at about 110/70, my cholesterol is down, my blood sugar is normal, I've lost about 15 lbs, and I'm back to the optimal weight for my frame size.

Almost all of these improvements are a direct result of me staying sober during that time, along with eating a little better ( rather than drinking my dinner ) and getting better rest. It's amazing what sobriety can do!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I had my 1 year follow up checkup about a month ago after my first appointment. My blood pressure has normalized at about 110/70, my cholesterol is down, my blood sugar is normal, I've lost about 15 lbs, and I'm back to the optimal weight for my frame size.

Almost all of these improvements are a direct result of me staying sober during that time, along with eating a little better ( rather than drinking my dinner ) and getting better rest. It's amazing what sobriety can do!
That's good to know. For me, like you, drinking just leads to an overall unhealthy lifestyle. I eat awful junk food (or not at all) when drinking and hungover. I miss gym time recovering from binges. My sleep suffers. Sobriety can provide me with an opportunity to become healthier in several aspects. Just need to get past the first few hurdles and I'm sure I'll really begin to feel the results of that.