Notices

Just had a meltdown

Old 06-07-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
He knows I am an alcoholic and trying to get sober, however he believes I should just try to cut down as not too put much pressure on myself etc obviously I disagree and would much prefer to ride this out!

Thanks for your kind words I really appreciate it
Hey Chilledice - that's his problem if he thinks you should taper. For this alcoholic - having tried many many times to cut down/taper/moderate - I believe the only way for me to really enjoy life is sober. If he's a good friend, he will respect your decision. If you explain your situation and apologise for losing your temper that's all you can do. You are not responsible for the way he reacts. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dealing with a lot of anger, hostility and irritability myself...
In conversation with a wise friend today, she said remember that anger is only the surface emotion and there is always something underneath it?
Hurt?
Fear?
Rejection?

Not being heard or understood really seems to get my goat these days. Anger is a messenger and we need to figure out what's actually behind it.

I think it takes the edge off.
As Carl alluded to..
Are you angry you weren't able to drink with the rest? Or do you squiggle, squirm and ROAR when people tell what you should do with your money, your life, etc.

I mean your money and your bike are your business...but I certainly understand your concern regarding overreaction..
Emotions are oh so much fun when we don't really know which one we're feeling and how to diffuse them...
Early sobriety is sometimes not so fun.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
He knows I am an alcoholic and trying to get sober, however he believes I should just try to cut down as not too put much pressure on myself etc obviously I disagree and would much prefer to ride this out!
So he not only has ideas about your money and exercise bike...he has some ideas on how you should handle your sobriety also?

The dynamics of your friendship might be going through some growing pains here.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Probably best to stay out of the pubs for a while. And by "a while", I mean for a long, long, long time. The only alcoholics who hang out regularly in pubs are the ones who are still drinking. I am sorry to hear you had a rough day, hang in there.