Notices

The 122 day blues?

Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm still working on getting the "joy" of sobriety myself and I have a little over 2 years. I like that I feel better, am more productive and reliable but that's it. However, for me drinking is just not an option. If I did, I know I'd remember very quickly why I quit. HA! Instead here I am up 3am watching "Jail" on Spike TV. Speaking of...shows like these, Intervention, movies about alcoholism etc. really help also. Brings home the reality of how much worse it could be if I were actively "out there" again.

I have finally turned to the Life Recovery Bible and plan on starting the steps with a mentor/sponsor through my churchs' 12 step program. I think I need it!
Is that an option for you?

Good luck and hang in there!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Raider! I am right behind you and am feeling the same!!! Got pissed off yesterday cuz I can't drink normally. My energy is super super low and I generally feel awful this week. With three sons and a job, my schedule doesn't allow for feeling cruddy. My head feels bad, my body feels bad and I am hoping its a rut. I guess a 100 day relapse is not uncommon, trying to power through. I can imagine how bad I would feel right now with a hangover!!! Hang in there girl! We can do it!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Perhaps you want to look into seeing a psychologist (PhD), and a psychiatrist (MD). My psychiatrist monitors my meds only. My psychologist is my talk therapist and cognitive behavior modification coach.

Remember too that alcohol changes how psychoactive drugs like antidepressants work. You may need to have your dose adjusted or to try a different medication.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, are you in an area where the weather is changing a lot right now? That could be affecting your sleep patterns and your mood without you even realizing it. And everybody has the power to give yourself a dopamine boost just by going for a walk. It's like getting a shot of Prozac and Ritalin au natural.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better, Raider. Rootin' for ya'!
I know those feelings. Can drive a person crazy. Remember those thoughts are all lies.
Euphoria for about 5 minutes then hello day one.
Hang tough.
Please send another photo of Fuzz and Ham wrasslin.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How ya doing today my friend?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello Raider,

Sending you good wishes and strength of purpose as you go through this difficult time.

Moods ebb and flow in life, in sobriety. Drinking will never make an awful mood better, never. Perhaps, like me, you find yourself a bit aimless in retirement? I know you volunteer, but perhaps, well, I'm sort of speaking for myself, there isn't enough to keep us with people and feeling useful?

Good luck with your trip, I hope you are in a good place to undertake this. Be careful and take it easy with your good self.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You're doing really well Pam. I know what you mean though-I was all over the place the first few months. I thought once I quit i'd be really happy but it didn't happen as I expected it. I wasn't unhappy,just felt odd at times .I took anti'ds but they just made me feel numb.Whilst 4 months is a long time it's still early days in the sense of we were drinking for 20/30/40 years so it does take a while to recalibrate.It will get better-6-8 months for me I felt 100 times better

Taking a drink will not make you feel better.
If you don't drink you won't regret it in the morning.

Stick with it
Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The only advice I have is to be selfish and jealous when it comes to your sobriety. Guard it like a dog guarding a bone! Now that you see how precious it is, do whatever it takes to hold onto it.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hiya Raider you are honestly doing so well . When i got to the 3-4 month stint , i found that time one of the hardest.
do you think the cabin is a good idea love ?

I wouldn't have trusted myself at that time .

This is a time where you need to be around people , at least intermittently . I don't know why i found this period so hard , but i didn't trust myself , i felt safer after 7 months .

Whatever you decide , take care

Always wishing you well and

Much love xx
Old 06-08-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Imo anti depressants can have a bad effect on people. They did on me and also on at least one friend of mine they I know of for sure. When I was a teenager I had lots of anxiety and the DR's put me on anti depressants. When you hear the warnings about how they may cause suicidal thoughts in teenagers-teenagers I was one of the lucky ones they figured that out on. One of my best girlfriends has tried to use the anti depressants throughout her adult life and finds they upset her. Be careful with those things! Altering our brain chemistry even with the best of intentions is a serious business!
Take care and stay well!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just to post from the other side, antidepressants saved my life.

I'm not negating your experience or opinion at all, just suggesting it's not a cut and dried black and white issue.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I was looking for a "Frazier" shrink...you know, I lay on the couch and talk while you listen type thing?
I really recommend it! Just don't get addicted

But seriously: are you doing things that you enjoy in your recovery and that are different from when you were drinking? I know you have little Fuzz... maybe more?

In any case, you are sober and have plans of action - that is great. Add to it if you feel the need. Don't get too isolated.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I agree nothing is cut and dry-the same meds that help some can harm others. It's important to have a good Dr to help assess the positive vs negative possibilities.