Notices

grocery shopping issue

Old 05-31-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

yeah I am so early on in recovery that I feel rather unstable at times. its rough. but anything that I can do to help is good.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just did my first post-sobriety market run today. With my young daughter, who is so used to seeing me stock up on the bottles she kind of gave me the evil-eye as we (quickly) walked past the liquor aisle.

I will tell you, it was weird as hell. The cart almost magically wanted to turn down. But, I just bought like 908653049 boxes of tea instead.

I will say, the grocery bill was a LOT lower than usual

Last edited by Dee74; 05-31-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

well that is really true about the cost of alcohol. Over the years I have spent so much on it. It adds up quickly.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedragonfly View Post
Ok I have been posting a lot today but this is on my mind right now. I used to do the grocery shopping. However, I would almost always buy booze along with the food and start in on drinking right away as soon as I got home. Then later I was drinking so much and so early that I could not even get to the store to shop for food. So my husband started doing it instead.

I felt guilty about this since he already does most of the stuff around here. He is a hard worker but still. anyways, now I think I could pick up some of the slack and go grocery shopping again. Only problem is avoiding the aisles that sell alcohol. One store near me used to not sell booze but now they do. So I am not sure if I am strong enough yet to go grocery shopping.

I am really early on in recovery. Perhaps once I have more time sober, I will feel differently.
So many similar problems strike when I read these threads. I have the same problem. I refused to go for the first couple of days. I'm only on Day 4. I've been going lately and trying to stay strong. My real problem is gas stations where I can get a quick fix of 99 cent wine bottles or stronger. I avoid those and go to the dry stations. Today was so hard because I went to one and those plane shots were begging me to buy them.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

that is true. its hard when I go buy cigarettes because its like that and a quick way to get booze.