Notices

Day 1

Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hey guys,
Due to a very stressful year, Ive been drinking literally every night in secret. Tried to stop several times but haven't made it past day 2. This morning I literally had enough. Enough of feeling down, enough of feeling horrible the morning after. I also have an eating disorder so only eat really when I feel relaxed and there's alcohol inside me. I then went onto look into the harm alcohol does to your system and really scared my self what I was doing - that did the trick!
So Ive decided today's the day. All my alcohol 'opportunities' have been removed from the house and I'm joining a diet program with a friend to structure my eating.
I find the evenings tend to be the worst as that's when i drink usually so have noting to do. Has anyone got any tips?
Thanks
rach
Old 05-30-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Rach, Welcome to the Forum!!

It all starts with a Day 1, you don't have to go back to feeling that way, focus on all the positives of Sobriety and the negatives of drinking, the damage caused to your life as a result, tomorrow you can wake up hangover free!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new too. also on day one. Having major trouble getting past day 5. Trying to get more support to get out of this rut of returning to drinking. It makes me feel bad so it needs to stop. So far this forum has been so supportive. I think its a great place already. oh and I used to have an eating disorder. I had to go to a program to get help with that. doing better now but still slip up.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What helped me get past that early part of not drinking (like the first week) was putting myself in situations where drinking wasn't an option. I went to AA meetings every evening at 5:30. After the AA meeting I would eat a nice big dinner instead of drinking. Since I normally went to bed and passed out drunk every single night, that helped break the pattern. After that first week it has gotten easier, less cravings and feeling better physically have reinforced the desire to keep off the booze. Hang in there it gets better!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rach - how are you doing?

D
Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SoberThings | The LifeRing Home Page

try this link from LifeRing. it's a list of dozens of things to do, no need to be bored. i do remember the early restlessness, though, and found that making fairly detailed plans for worrisome times worked well for me.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just keep it simple. If you don't drink, you won't get drunk today.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Rach welcome to sr, lots of help available for you on this site
Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Rach.

Like I think a lot of others have said, breaking patterns is important. Do something you wouldn't have otherwise done. Go to a meeting, watch a movie (you'll remember the end), post on sr, exercise, etc.

There is lots of great advice around here. Welcome.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for the support! Its very greatly appreciated! Woke up this morning feeling super and productive, I just hope I still feel the same tonight!
Thanks for the tips for hobbies and activities too, have tried to plan a few things to keep me occupied, lots of films and exercise I think.
Thank you so so much again, I couldn't have done it without your kind words and support.
Rach xx
Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting through Day 1.
It's an excellent time for it...the absolute best.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job. Keep it up!