Notices

Swallowing the pill of acceptance .... again

Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Swallowing the pill of acceptance .... again

You know I can't drink coffee either. I was just thinking that the other day at work, that I don't drink coffee because it always gives me at least a half an hour of heartburn after it, so I just accept that it isn't something I can drink ... so I don't. And you know what? It really isn't a big deal. I just don't drink it and I would LIKE to, but I don't.

I guess it is the same here with alcohol ... I just need to accept I can't drink it, just like the coffee, except alcohol gives me a major case of drunkenness.

Why can't I drink coffee without heartburn? I have no idea. Why can't I drink alcohol in moderation? I have no idea.

On Day Two here. Trying to swallow the acceptance pill of knowing I can't drink liquor like "normal" people and never will be able to.

By the way, it is iced tea that is usually the drink of choice and you would have to pry my tea out of my cold, dead hand. That is a habit I will never quit.

Have a good day everyone and thanks for reading my post.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gibbons, I try to look at that logic too. I don't have caffeine because it makes my heart race and skip beats. Alcohol does that to me after too much, at like, 3am. So, why would I ever want it anymore?

I also avoid other things without much of a thought. And I think of my child who must avoid any trace or nuts in anything or she could become very sick or die! And she just does it.

I try to put alcohol in that same place mentally for myself. But it is different because of the addiction part. It takes more than just that thinking, but that logic helps along with other strategies.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nmd

Yes, if coffee can make your stomach sick, alcohol makes my mind sick. Stick with it and you will feel better, congrats on day 2!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gibbons! So glad to see you here this morning!

You're really thinking the right things, moving into acceptance. I really think until we accept that our relationship with liquor is done, we can't truly move into the good possibilities that are available to us. My BIGGEST hurdle to overcome is to learn to stop listening to that voice that appears, after I've been "good" for a while, that tells me that it is possible for me to moderate. I have to daily internalize that it only leads to the same old ferris wheel, moving in a circle and getting nowhere. I don't want to ride it anymore.

Be strong, be kind to yourself, and have a wonderful, healing day.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm always glad to see someone post about acceptance and how that is woven in to their recovery. The reality is that until we have acceptance that we cannot drink alcohol, we will not achieve sobriety; it will simply be a long ride on the roller coaster!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was really surprised how many things didn't make me sick when I stopped drinking. I could never drink coffee in the morning or even eat breakfast. A good bit of sobriety tends to cure a lot of what we thought ailed us. I even thought I had allergies to all types of foods but it just turned out to be the havoc that alcohol was doing to my body. I can even take naps now, but when I was drinking the rapid heartbeat prevented that.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can drink alcohol....

But I choose not to because I do not wish to accept the negative consequences that drinking alcohol invariably brings into my life.

Just the way I look at it. Seems to make the 'acceptance' part easier for me.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acceptance was the turning point for me - not that I didn't have urges after that, but knowing that drinking was not a viable option for me led me in search of other solutions to whatever my problem was at that particular moment.

Welcome back Gibbons

D
Old 05-30-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How are you doing tonight, Gibbons? The first Friday can be rough but we can tough it out together...