Notices

Side effect?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My weight loss came to a stand-still as well. I figured it was just my body going through a lot right now and that it would soon go back to losing weight as it was before.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

normal weight

Originally Posted by AlliH View Post
A) I have not gained weight. That was not my question.
B) If weight gain were a side effect of sobriety I would assume it would be a temporary part of tw withdrawal process.

I came here to find out about other people's experiences. Is there another board I should be going to to do that? I didn't create this board for anybody's criticism or suggestion that I wasn't prioritizing my sobriety. Quite frankly, I take offense to that suggestion.
Well I could NEVER LOSE weight while still actively practicing my alcoholism. AS a matter of fact, I LOST 60 when I quit drinking in 2010. Wow I liked being a size 5 for the first time in over 50 years. It too about a year for half of it to sneak back on my hips and belly - 30 lbs of solid bloat. Last quit date was Feb, and I got 22 lbs off in two months, but IT took a LOT of monitoring and exercise. A common pitfall of newly abstinent folks is to replace the alcohol with sugary and high carb stuff (the dreaded WHITE foods) which are metabolized about the same as alcohol and give that fuzzy carbo high. To make that fog disappear - drink more water than anything else and eat lean protein, and lots of veggies, couple of apples (apple a day keeps doctor away), and other fruit. they key is to "reset" your metabolism with natural foods and don't fall into the carbohydrate trap. you may be "sober" but you will not feel well.
peace out.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alli my dear, All people are not the same. Our bodies react differently to different types of foods and other stimuli. Some people have an ideal body weight or type. Your body will settle into its healthy zone soon enough.
Alcohol does terrible things to our innards. Our body functions are altered greatly by alcohol abuse. I don't need to get into the specific physiology of it all...

You posted you got really drunk a few days ago. How long have you been counting points? Were you also counting the alcohol points? Does WW give any advice as far as alcohol is concerned? Have you been getting any exercise?
You asked a general question. You are going to get general answers. Until you establish a few months of solid sobriety your body is still confused. Your body chemistry is adjusting. There are many factors that go into how our bodies react to the things we put inside it.
Have you ever seen the skinny guy who eats like a horse and wonder how this is possible? Our bodies are different. I hope you are not comparing yourself to the freaks of nature you see adorning magazine covers with their photo shopped pictures. That is not normal. I actually find it unattractive myself.
So, others saying to focus on sobriety first is a rational response. They are correct. Expecting to see any change as a result of quitting drinking is impossible in the beginning. Some people gain weight, some people lose weight, and some people stay the same. Remember also that we are a group of people from many backgrounds, ethnic groups, age groups. What is normal for some is abnormal for others. Keep that in mind.

I didn't see anyone criticize you. There is not a pool of 23 year olds standing by to immediately answer your questions. You seem to expect instant responses whenever you begin a new thread.

Expecting to see any REAL change takes some time. Just keep doing what you are doing. Give it a few months before you push the panic button.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AlliH View Post
I came here to find out about other people's experiences. Is there another board I should be going to to do that?
Perhaps:

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-29-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mary2

Alcohol is loaded with calories! Plus wrong food choices when drunk! Of course weight gains no side effect unless you are eating more. Eat healthy and excersise. No secret.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have been on WW for about three months. I have alway counted alcohol points too.

Now, my next question is, what do you mean by I'm expecting immediate responses when I start a thread? And I am well aware that there isn't a pool of 23 years olds standing by waiting to answer my questions. Why did that even come into play? I don't ask of the experience of a bunch of 23 year olds. I asked for the experiences of other human beings. Forgive me for doing that. I will be sure to not post asking for advice on these things as I feel it has blown up.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you to all the people who have provided me with constructive feedback. Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
There is not a pool of 23 year olds standing by to immediately answer your questions.
Lol, they'll get over that too
Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

my bad
Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Way to be patronizing. Thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you for making me feel bad about a realistic question I had at 9am. You sure no how to be supportive and encouraging.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't think it is a side effect of abstaining from alcohol. It sounds to me that you are at a plateau. I agree the others. ..don't worry about it for a while.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Alli my dear, All people are not the same. Our bodies react differently to different types of foods and other stimuli. Some people have an ideal body weight or type. Your body will settle into its healthy zone soon enough. Alcohol does terrible things to our innards. Our body functions are altered greatly by alcohol abuse. I don't need to get into the specific physiology of it all... You posted you got really drunk a few days ago. How long have you been counting points? Were you also counting the alcohol points? Does WW give any advice as far as alcohol is concerned? Have you been getting any exercise? You asked a general question. You are going to get general answers. Until you establish a few months of solid sobriety your body is still confused. Your body chemistry is adjusting. There are many factors that go into how our bodies react to the things we put inside it. Have you ever seen the skinny guy who eats like a horse and wonder how this is possible? Our bodies are different. I hope you are not comparing yourself to the freaks of nature you see adorning magazine covers with their photo shopped pictures. That is not normal. I actually find it unattractive myself. So, others saying to focus on sobriety first is a rational response. They are correct. Expecting to see any change as a result of quitting drinking is impossible in the beginning. Some people gain weight, some people lose weight, and some people stay the same. Remember also that we are a group of people from many backgrounds, ethnic groups, age groups. What is normal for some is abnormal for others. Keep that in mind. I didn't see anyone criticize you. There is not a pool of 23 year olds standing by to immediately answer your questions. You seem to expect instant responses whenever you begin a new thread. Expecting to see any REAL change takes some time. Just keep doing what you are doing. Give it a few months before you push the panic button.
Allh what are your expectations from this thread or forum? I thought this was a great insightful post from Brain. Yet you seem to get defensive and lose the whole point of the post because you didn't like something he said. In fact you've been very defensive throughout this thread. If you're looking for honest feedback from folks with a lot of experience here then you've come to the right place. If you're going to take exception to any comments that you don't agree with then I think you'll find it very frustrating.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I posted this thread looking for experiences. Why other people have experienced in the past. Not their opinions about my diet or recovery process. And certainly not to be patronized for my age.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Not to mention, like you've said, I've clearly been defensive throught the thread. Why would posting something along the lines of "there aren't a bunch of 23 year olds sitting around waiting to answer you" make me any less defensive?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am extremely grateful for the people who have provided feedback about it being my body resetting itself. I appreciate that. Ido no appreciate being told that I need to prioritize my sobriety, as if I am not doing that.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Alli,

Yes Alli, I've hit a 'plateau'. I'm just above 2 weeks. Like others have said there are many things your body is focused on balancing right now, hormone levels and emitting the toxins left from alcohol are some. Hormone levels can have a huge influence on your weight. Now that you've stopped drinking they will level out I've also read that the bulk of the alcohol toxins are just stored in fat when your actively drinking large amounts because your body doesn't know what to do with them. I think of it as my body is literally working on getting rid of 'toxic' fat. So be patient, it will come off eventually.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Healthy, balanced diet and lots of water. Around 3 years ago before my drinking was anything near as bad as it became I quit for 8 months. Back then I just binged on a night or 2 a week. It took me a solid 2 months of no alcohol and lots of exercise, healthy eating to notice a difference. Everyone is different though and if I remember correctly you're incredibly young. Keep at it. It sounds like you are doing great.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Here's something else to look forward to as you focus on your health. Now that you've eliminated alcohol, your skin is going to start looking amazing. It will have a beautiful 'glow'.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Hawk! I appreciate the info!!!