Notices

Long night ahead

Old 05-28-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long night ahead

My Grandma is very poorly.

She was in hospital last week and she had surgery for gallstones. The doctor did tell us that he was concerned that she was not eating and she is underweight, but she has always been like that. She also had severe constipation.

Anyway I was with her a lot in hospital. Actually she seemed brighter then. I would visit and she was sitting in the chair beside the bed reading the newspaper.

Since she came home she has gone downhill. My aunt moved her bed down to the sitting room as she was having trouble climbing the stairs and she is so weak, she can't go to the toilet by herself. They asked me to stay there too, as my Grandma seemed to perk up when myself or my dad were around. I just came back to my parents tonight as I needed fresh clothes.

She was very sick today, vomiting, and my aunt is a doctor and she gave her an injection. She was sleeping a lot then with very laboured breathing. She was asking my dad today to call the solicitor and make sure her will is up to date. She seems very concerned about that and dad was trying to reassure her not to worry, he would make sure it is all in hand.

Gran lives with three of my aunts. To be honest, they are not the best people to have around in a crisis. Gran woke up earlier and asked me to tell the others just to leave her alone. She wanted a bit of peace. My other auntie (who I would say has alcohol problems herself) started crying in front of me and said she needed a drink.

My parents live about a 45 minute drive from them and we had just arrived back here when my aunt called us crying and said they are very worried. If she is not better in the morning they are going to call an ambulance. Maybe I should have stayed there but I was not happy, my aunt was crying and said she NEEDED alcohol. My dad said I did the right thing by coming back, there is nothing I can really do. Sometimes my Gran wakes up, I don't say anything, just rub her head and give her a kiss and tell her I love her and she smiles and goes to sleep again.

We are leaving early in the morning. I don't know what to do and this is so hard. What state will she be in? She did tell me today that she is not afraid of death.

I am sitting here with a pot of camomile tea and looking at old pictures of the two of us. I could ramble on and on but I just want to say, I love you so much Grandma.

To whoever is reading this, please pray for us tonight. Thank you x
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My prayers are with you and your grandma Tetra

D
Old 05-28-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you, Tetra. You are honoring your Gran by keeping sober. Very best thoughts tonight for you and your Gran.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have my prayers. I had a very special grandmother who passed a few years ago. Truly an angelic spirit...I miss her every day and will for the rest of my life.

I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Aw tetra, I'm sorry to hear about that. She isn't afraid and she has family around who do love her.

Thinking about you. Hang in there.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will be praying for you, your grandma and your entire family, tetra.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My prayers are going up as well for you and your gran.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you and your Grandma. xoxo
Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also praying for your grandma, and sending you love Tetra. ♥♥

Venus xx
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tetra...so sorry to hear your Grandma is unwell.

Please talk to your Dad if others aren't respecting her need to be left alone. I think if she is very ill, it's important to give her peace and time to reflect on that, if that is what she is asking for.

When my uncle was terminally ill, he wanted quiet and peace alone when he passed away and his children and wife respected that. My grandmother was the same.

Sending you hugs.xx
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and wishing both you and your grandma the best, Tetra.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my god, I don't know how my 89 year old Gran keeps going.

The doctor came today and said she was fine. Then I left to go to an AA meeting. When I got back the solicitor was there.

Everything has been signed and sealed. No going back. It must have been a great weight off Grans mind because when I left tonight, she was sitting up in her armchair drinking cups of soup! My aunt is talking about bringing Gran on a sun holiday and she said she would love to go!!

My aunt asked my mom and I if we would like to take a holiday to her flat in Europe. She is very grateful for our help. The idea of a vacation is very appealing, I love going away, but am I mad to be considering this? My mom drives me crazy but I admit, I do feel stronger around her these days. I am able to stand my ground more. She is always in better form when we travel. I said I would think about it.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers xx
Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Tetra, sorry haven't ever commented to any of your threads till now. I am happy to hear your Grandmother is improving. Just for grins I looked at the extended forecast for Dublin. Looks like it is a slow start of spring and a lot of rain. Your sun holiday as you described it seems like it would be good for you all. P.S. I think you are a very sweet person.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tetra, I'm so glad she's doing better! I think you should go on the trip. Ignore your mom's BS. It'll be fun and you'll get to spend some time with your grandma. HUGS to you and your family.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great news, tetra; so happy for you and your Grandma.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

cherish any moments you get with your sweet Gran. I lost my grandmother, the woman who essentially raised me b/c my parents were young and both had to work, when I was on my HONEYMOON
I was unable to attend the funeral and everything. I flew home right after but I was unable to get a flight beforehand. I hadn't seen her months as I was married and living in Switzerland, my then husband was to meet her a couple months after the honeymoon when we were going to Canada to visit.

I still haven't grieved properly and it was 6 years ago.
savour every moment you have!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tetra - That made me smile, reading about your grandma rallying like that. I think you should go on the trip too. A refreshing change for everyone.

Jupiters - I'm so sorry you lost your grandmother during what should've been a happy time. I'm sure she would never want to be the cause of your pain.