Notices

2 days, 2 meetings

Old 05-28-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days, 2 meetings

So here I am. Completely new to all of this. My life was/is pretty much falling apart so I have to make major changes. I've gone to 2 meetings in 2 days and while I get something out of them -- I still just feel like a fish out of water. The one today does seem like a better fit overall but how long does it take to feel more natural there. When do you start looking for a sponsor? How does that even happen? Any insight would be great!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

find a sponsor now and work those 12 steps
Old 05-28-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondieB View Post
So here I am. Completely new to all of this. My life was/is pretty much falling apart so I have to make major changes. I've gone to 2 meetings in 2 days and while I get something out of them -- I still just feel like a fish out of water. The one today does seem like a better fit overall but how long does it take to feel more natural there. When do you start looking for a sponsor? How does that even happen? Any insight would be great!
Hi. For the average newcomer things take a dreaded word to happen, TIME. Being undisciplined I wanted all good things today, without any effort put into getting sober, AND staying sober. I heard things I didn’t want to hear like the need to get honest with myself about my drinking. Accepting as a fact that I’m an alcoholic and cannot drink the first drink in safety. I needed the guidance of a sponsor ASAP because my best effort got me drunk time after time. Just ask someone who seems to walk the talk. Also I/we need many meetings to stay sober and enjoy life and be comfortable in our own skins.
Many who choose the softer easier way are not with us any longer and I’ve witnessed too much of that result.
BE WELL
Old 05-28-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to meetings, but Welcome to SR. This is a great place for support and understanding.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, take it easy on yourself and each day don't pick up the first drink, no matter what.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Blondie

D
Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In the beginning I believe the most effective strategy is to go to a meeting everyday and don't drink in between meetings.

I would look for a temporary sponsor quickly. Find some one of the same sex who has long term sobriety and is happy with life. They will help guide you through early sobriety.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do 90 in 90, try as many meetings in your area as possible and pay attention to the people whose experience, strength & hope resonate with you. Get their phone numbers and call them. You will find your sponsor in or through someone in that group.