Notices

Can someone tell me about detox?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone tell me about detox?

I'm thinking I should go. I was wondering a few things.

1. Can they make you stay? I certainly cannot afford to be missing for while.
2. Will it go on some record that people can access?

I've take days off at times and I don't have withdrawals. That is not what concerns me. What concerns me is the fact that I don't have withdrawals or any symptoms, YET, so I keep going back to the drink for the numbing effect. I'm just so afraid to go in and be condescended to or be kept there. My friend was recently in for painkillers after a near OD and they wouldn't let her out. I just want to stop and I'm not interested in AA.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, first of all, not every time you detox will be the same. Detox is unpredictable and that's why it's dangerous.

I don't know if they could make you stay. But, why would you go if you didn't want to stay? I don't know about the medical records either.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just got out of detox over a week ago. They can't make you stay. There were a few people who came in while I was there and decided to leave early on their own volition. Basically there is a correct way and it's to follow the Dr.'s orders. The incorrect way is to leave early. They will also help you get into an inpatient or outpatient treatment program if you're interested. They will suggest you go to AA, as we had AA or NA meetings every night.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are administered medication there will be a record of it. It's the law. If you check yourself in,then you can check yourself out. They can try to get you to stay. If you leave when they have a reason to keep you - ususually based on insurance coverage - they will put you left AMA. Against medical advice. That's it.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It you are using your insurance, and you go AMA, the insurance stops paying. At last that is the way it is with BCBS. I echo the others, why would you check in to detox then leave early?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unless you are ordered by the court,
they cannot make you stay.

I was assured that my records and
admission would be kept confidential.

I spent 12 days, I asked the Dr. to
keep me beyond the usual 4-5
days, I was a basket case.
It was exactly what I needed.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They will suggest you go to AA, as we had AA or NA meetings every night.
Detox does not typically include AA meetings. Rehab does. When I was in detox I was physically incapable of going to AA meetings. On my 3rd day I was having miniature seizures and it wasn't even sure if I was going to live or die.

Are you going to rehab, which typically lasts at least 4 weeks? Or Detox, which is typically 3 to 7 days?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Taking, I just got out of detox and people from AA or NA came every night for a meeting. It was a small meeting, but a meeting nonetheless. Was there 5 days. FYI, to avoid any confusion
Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Where I went to detox, it was intense.
I went to at least 40 groups/meetings
during a 12 day period. They also had
a full 24 hour nursing staff that were
checking on me almost continuously.
If I wanted to vent, there was always
a compassionate ear available.
I was in good hands.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The whole insurance thing somewhat is null now in the US due to Obamacare. They can no longer deny you coverage because of alcoholism/addition etc. Not trying to spur any political debate - Obamacare actually worked for me.

I did go to a cash only rehab/detox specifically to avoid the whole insurance in the future issue.

They can not make you stay even if court ordered. If your court ordered and leave then the court deals with you.

If you check yourself in, you can leave anytime, which I dont recommend. They will try everything to get you to stay.

It depends on the facility if NA or AA is required. In a true medical detox only, you are there specifically for medical supervised and administered detox.

I needed medical detox and mine lasted about 100 hours, most of which I don't remember, lots of shakes, sweats and hallucinations. They monitored my vitals every four hours.

Last edited by ktwsober; 05-27-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"If your court ordered and leave then the court deals with you".

They sure will!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getmeoffthisbus View Post

I've take days off at times and I don't have withdrawals. That is not what concerns me. What concerns me is the fact that I don't have withdrawals.
You say you don't have withdrawals; does that mean you're not physically dependent on alcohol? If you're not physically dependent, detox shouldn't be necessary. Are you confusing rehab with detox? They aren't the same thing.

My advice is to see your Dr.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What do they do in detox? Are you hooked to IVs or given medication? Is there stuff to do or can you bring your laptop and work?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Where I was, they did administer
medications. I am deathly scared
of shots and I got plenty of them.

I also attended many groups and
meetings, occupational therapy,
and educational classes.

There was little down time.
From 7:00am until 6:00pm
you were busy.

The food was excellent, I gained
five pounds in 12 days.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No physical withdrawals. And I have Ativan here and it hasn't been necessary in the other failed quits over this past month. They ranged from 1 to 4 days clean. I can't tell what will happen this time, but I think I meant something more along the lines of rehab. I'll see if I need that after a couple of days. If I don't slip up, I may just try it alone.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

what ktwsober says is true.

detox and rehab are not the same. detox is usually followed by a stay in rehab assuming it is done at the same facility.
In January my insurance would not pay for more than 2 weeks - so I was congratulated and given my coin for having completed the program.

detox is just that, nothing more. It is a medically supervised period that makes sure you don't die or have other serious side effects from alcohol withdraw. You are constantly monitored and given medication to help you through it if necessary.

Rehab is a program of regimented classes and counseling. Some are better than others. Some just want the money. Almost all are 12 step oriented and have you attend daily meetings. They try to get you to go to Florida (on the east coast) for continuing rehab. Otherwise they send you to IOP, intensive outpatient treatment. A couple hours a day all week or for a few days a week. They insist you attend x number of AA/NA meetings after you leave. Rehab is a mixture of alcohol and drug addicts from A to Z. Nothing is geared toward you as an individual except for the brief moments (if you're lucky) you spend with your counselor.
Otherwise it is a good experience and I recommend you go to one and spend the entire 4 weeks if you can. You will definitely learn something. You will be in a safe environment. And you will hear a lot at the meetings that will resonate with you personally. The meetings were key for me - hearing my story told by several different people. It was a wake up call for sure.
It sets you up for success. The longer you are there, the better.