Notices

Open and closed meetings

Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Open and closed meetings

Apologies for a bit of a stupid question,but what is the difference between the 2?The one I'm going to tonight is an open one?thanks :-)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Anyone can attend an open meeting (spouses, significant others of the alcoholic, etc.) A closed meeting is for the alcoholic only.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks,is there any difference if you're just going alone?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my area there are 10 open meetings to every one closed meeting.

Therefore, I've only attended open meetings. I don't understand the differences, but open meetings are fine. Every once in a while there will be someone at the meeting who is not an alcoholic. They don't speak, generally. We do have one Pastor who comes and sometimes the Chair will ask him to say something, but usually non-Alcoholics are just sitting and listening.

People sometimes bring their kids or spouse or parent or whoever. Doesn't really affect me one way or the other...unless it's a really cute kid, then I want to cuddle them (but of course, I don't).
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
In my area there are 10 open meetings to every one closed meeting.

Therefore, I've only attended open meetings. I don't understand the differences, but open meetings are fine. Every once in a while there will be someone at the meeting who is not an alcoholic. They don't speak, generally. We do have one Pastor who comes and sometimes the Chair will ask him to say something, but usually non-Alcoholics are just sitting and listening.

People sometimes bring their kids or spouse or parent or whoever. Doesn't really affect me one way or the other...unless it's a really cute kid, then I want to cuddle them (but of course, I don't).
Thanks for that really helpful :-)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Usually there are very few if any non alcoholic attending open meetings
Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not an alcoholic but I've been to a few open A A meetings to get a better understanding of my alcoholic friend. I was asked to talk once so people could ask questions from my point of view as a teetotaler, which seemed to prove very useful for all of us, but every other time I've just sat and listened. I was made as welcome as everyone else there and you will be too I'm sure. I'm in awe of those people who fight so hard for something and was really humbled by it. Go along, be yourself and talk to people. :-)