Notices

What do you do?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do?

I'm laying in bed, trying to get to sleep and I can't stop beating myself up for my screw up.

Is there anything you tell yourself when you have a similar problem? Any advice is welcome.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Forgiving ourselves for the stupid silly things we do sometimes is difficult. I think it boils down to self-love. Since we tend to be a lot harder on ourselves try imagining your 'screw up' was done by someone else you love. Maybe it was your best friend or your fiance instead of you. You feel guilty but that's because I suspect you're an extremely caring person full of empathy for others.. time to give yourself a little of that love.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We all screw up Alli, we are human
beings. You are not defeated.
There are few people that did
not stumble on recovery road.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Tell yourself that you will be sober today. Since you can't change what you've done, know that each day you live sober is one more step towards regaining the trust of those around you.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We can't change the past, we all have one but it's written, done and dusted, but the good thing is we don't have to go back and re live the same experiences if we don't want to.

The future is unwritten, WE get to decide everyday what it looks like, focusing on that always brings me a certain peace and hope.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

The topic of the meeting I went to tonight was turning a negative into a positive. For me, I remember my mistakes. They get burned into me and leave a lasting impression. Isn't it funny how bad news travels faster and farther than good news? How if a business treats their customers well, only a scant few will leave good reviews but if the business screws up, nearly every person with a bad experience will leave a bad review? People seem to be gluttons for negative feedback!

So what do we do when we screw up? I think that instinct says to wallow a bit. We screwed up. We made a mistake and we have to live with the consequences. The beauty of a mistake is that it is an opportunity to learn and grow. Mistakes and screw ups will happen. They are the proof of our humanity and fallibility. They are opportunities to learn and grow and flower or they can be the boulder that crushes your spirit. It all depends on how you use them.

My big mistakes are boulders. I can either be crushed by them or climb them to reach new heights. It's easier to be crushed. It's harder to climb. Still, I'd rather stand on top in the sun then sink into the shadows.

You're gonna be okay. Let yourself grow. You're worth it.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post

My big mistakes are boulders. I can either be crushed by them or climb them to reach new heights. It's easier to be crushed. It's harder to climb. Still, I'd rather stand on top in the sun then sink into the shadows.
That is absolutely brilliant, DG!