Notices

Today is my last day

Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by getmeoffthisbus View Post
It's a vicious cycle that never ends.
Actually, it does end if you quit drinking. It's uncomfortable for a while to be sure, and it's not easy, but it is 100% possible to get out of that cycle. And it's worth it.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There are a few of us that call the 27th our sobriety day….we would definitely love to have a few more!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

As soon as I take those first few sips, everything is right in the world again.
You only believe that because you have not yet tasted true freedom. If you want to feel really good, break the chains.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have extreme agoraphobia right now. I'm trying, I am. I was so nervous today when I went to sign some important docs for work. Panic attack was on the horizon. I stopped and got some wine and it disappeared. I know that's horrible, but this is why I depend on the poison. When I'm sober, I'm very anxious, angst-ridden and not normal, at all. I know I need to get into therapy. I tried to go out and do errands, but all I want to do is hide from the world. When I'm in the world, interacting, everyone thinks I'm fine. I don't drink all day, which doesn't mean I have a problem, but when I'm interacting with people, I'm sober.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have extreme agoraphobia right now. I'm trying, I am. I was so nervous today when I went to sign some important docs for work. Panic attack was on the horizon. I stopped and got some wine and it disappeared. I know that's horrible, but this is why I depend on the poison. When I'm sober, I'm very anxious, angst-ridden and not normal, at all. I know I need to get into therapy. I tried to go out and do errands, but all I want to do is hide from the world. When I'm in the world, interacting, everyone thinks I'm fine. I don't drink all day, which doesn't mean I have a problem, but when I'm interacting with people, I'm sober.
Anxiety is a very common side effect of alcohol abuse and also it becomes heightened during withdrawal. You should consider seeing your doctor or an alcohol/drug counselor. I can say for certain that my anxiety decreased very substantially after I quit drinking.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good advice here.

You feel so good when you drink because you're really addicted.

I got to that stage too - and beyond.

I ended up drinking all day everyday - and not feeling good.
Alcohol ceased to 'work'. There's no lonelier place.

You can avoid that
It won't be comfortable to give up but it's preferable to not giving up.

You came here for a reason - keep posting, keep the account open

D
Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm very anxious, angst-ridden and not normal, at all.
Alcohol amplifies this effect.

I thought for years that the effects of alcohol disappeared the next day. In reality, chronic alcohol use causes the brain to produce extra stress and anxiety chemicals to compensate for the persistent buzz. The longer you drink the worse this becomes. Eventually you can't drink enough to feel good. You just drink to avoid feeling as bad as you do.

Every time I quit drinking I would pace my house like a caged animal. I couldn't sit down, I couldn't focus, nothing soothed or entertained, and all the while that voice in my head was saying just a couple of drinks and you'll feel better.

It's a lie. Alcohol creates the problem and then masquerades as the solution.

The real solution is to stop drinking and let the brain chemistry get back to normal.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Getme - I was feeling the same when I first came here. I knew I should stop but was afraid of what life would be like without my 'buffer'. Yet I knew I was missing out on a real life by being numb & foggy all the time (plus it was becoming dangerous). I hope you'll give yourself chance to get past the uncomfortable part and on to the good part - the part where you're free and filled with hope.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
There are a few of us that call the 27th our sobriety day….we would definitely love to have a few more!
One month from today and you will have a year! Way to go!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Anxiety is a very common side effect of alcohol abuse and also it becomes heightened during withdrawal. You should consider seeing your doctor or an alcohol/drug counselor. I can say for certain that my anxiety decreased very substantially after I quit drinking.
My anxiety also decreased significantly. I would have never thought that possible.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I beg you to stop drinking, put down the bottle, and find out what feeling good really is. You'll never know freedom until you stop drinking. I did it. It was hard to do but worth doing. See a medical professional to help with the withdrawal. That first few days anxiety is intense. Get some help getting thru it safely and comfortably.

You can do this!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks, ScottfromWI.

I am reading here a lot today. It resonates with me. I know my depression is caused by alcohol. It's a vicious cycle that never ends. As soon as I take those first few sips, everything is right in the world again. I know this is a false sense of security and I need to internalize this.
Is everything right in the world the next morning?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You've said it perfectly, getme. Alcohol taught me how to be unable to face life without alcohol. Which is what makes the stuff so sinister: it makes itself the cure even when it's the cause. Hope you're doing okay and hanging in there. Come back tomorrow. . .
Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Yes, please come back tomorrow, Getme. We're here to support you until you can walk alone
Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

This is not easy but it is simple. If you don't STOP, things WILL get much, much worse.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

GMOTB. I understand where you're coming from. If I could offer anything to you from my experience it is this….all of the "problems" and "pain" in my life became much less burdensome when I wasn't in the throws of self-loathing that stemmed from my drinking. Admittedly, I was sober for 1.5 years before I decided that I could drink moderately again late last year. And after a couple months sure enough the "problems" and "pain" started finding their way back into my life. Thank GOD I woke up and snapped out of it. I want my sober life back more than anything. Good luck to you!

P.S. I use quotations for "problems" and "pain" not to diminish what you or I or anyone is going through. I do that because, for me, 90% of the torment I was experiencing was either directly or indirectly related to my alcoholism. Either the drink created the problem or the drink prevented me from effectively handling the problem.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm back and today is Day One.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Excellent getme. All power to you today. You can do this. Think of all the determination you've applied to continuing your drinking life and reverse thrust. I'm pulling for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I'm back and today is Day One.
As you'll hear in every meeting: keep coming back!