Notices

Sober 8 days

Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Leigh! All those feelings are completely "normal" for a lot of us for awhile as far as I've seen read and heard. Once I get over the emotional roller coaster I've been able to see more clearly where I've had trouble asserting myself or setting a boundary, or just saying what bothers me.

It's important to be honest about all of that stuff though so that people can HELP me get a healthier perspective on all of these things instead of just being led by emotion so I appreciate you sharing honestly, that is the right thing to do, and if you keep that up -- and do it with supportive (and balanced) people who've gone down that road, you will do just fine.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by riotboy View Post
Welcome Leigh! All those feelings are completely "normal" for a lot of us for awhile as far as I've seen read and heard. Once I get over the emotional roller coaster I've been able to see more clearly where I've had trouble asserting myself or setting a boundary, or just saying what bothers me.

It's important to be honest about all of that stuff though so that people can HELP me get a healthier perspective on all of these things instead of just being led by emotion so I appreciate you sharing honestly, that is the right thing to do, and if you keep that up -- and do it with supportive (and balanced) people who've gone down that road, you will do just fine.
Uhh recent example: Had a roommate who "had to go" and I won't get into it but I was all over the place about how to do it .. and someone who I'll say "I place a lot of trust into, in my recovery" .. put things into perspective and said "Just tell him 'It's time for you to move out.'"

"Ohhhhhh!" (Duh.)

Things that might seem obvious and simple to other people, aren't to me. When I talk about what's going on -- esp if I'm really struggling for such a simple way to approach something that needs to be done -- I learn!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by riotboy View Post
Uhh recent example: Had a roommate who "had to go" and I won't get into it but I was all over the place about how to do it .. and someone who I'll say "I place a lot of trust into, in my recovery" .. put things into perspective and said "Just tell him 'It's time for you to move out.'" "Ohhhhhh!" (Duh.) Things that might seem obvious and simple to other people, aren't to me. When I talk about what's going on -- esp if I'm really struggling for such a simple way to approach something that needs to be done -- I learn!
Thank you riot boy. I'm trying to figure out all these emotions in my head! Guess I've never had to deal with real feelings before my life has been so alcohol consumed.

All I know is I want help and to get better. Being honest is def the best way to go about it and I know it's the only way being sober will work. Being honest with myself fist and foremost!

Thank you x
Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Leigh

First of all... congratulations on 8 days sober.

Could you try turning this around? What if no-one was supporting you?
No-one ever asked how you're doing?
No-one seemed to even notice you were trying to recover?

You have a strong resistance inside of you that is coming out as anger towards everyone. It is that resistance you need to look at. It is that resistance that you need to discuss with your sponsor.

So far you haven't found the JOY in all of this. It will come if you just put in more time.
Quietly ask your family for some space. If they feel they need to go to Al Anon than they can go there quietly and not bother you with it right now.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Leigh

As others have said, early recovery is a bit of an emotional roller coaster for a while. Think of it like a dam - we walled our emotions up for a long time drinking - now, in sobriety, that dam wall has broken...

I had a lot of rage...it looked and felt like resentment at the time, but it was really misplaced rage shame embarrassment and guilt towards myself really.

Try thinking of the things you have to be grateful for. Make a list if you need to.

Try thinking of all the right things you're doing now and what you want your life to be too.

Things will get better Leigh

Glad you found us

D
Thanks Dee74 .

Your email gave me real hope, especially what I want my life to be! I have the nicest picture in my mind when I think of my life and future without drink. Drink has done nothing but ruin and prolong any chance of happiness I've had (through no fault of my own) but the hope and strength I've found so far even in the worst days will make me carry on because I know I deserve far more than this existance. And that is all I'm living - an existance.

Ive made it to day 9 - one day at a time.

Good luck and hope to you all!

L x
Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

congratulations Leigh, keep making it one day at a time.