Notices

Detox advice

Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox advice

Hi Everyone. I'm 42 female and I'm addicted to wine. My therapist helped me realize I have a problem. I can't stop drinking wine. I've made the decision to go to the Hospital and detox myself and attend programs. I feel so bad because I have two small kids and a wonderful Husband and I feel like a failure that I let alcohol take over my life. I mean it does not interfere with my kids, I drink at night when they go to bed, but I can't stop and its taking a toll on my mood swings.

Has anyone gone to a 3 day detox before? How is it? Do you get bad withdrawals? I'm so nervous.

THanks.
Mary
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hi, Mary...welcome to SR. It's good to know that you are wanting to quit drinking. I did a six day inpatient detox and I loved it. I felt absolutely no withdrawals (they give you meds for that and also check your vitals several times a day). It's a safe way to get past the physical part of addiction. I highly recommend it if at all possible.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I can't give any advice on the detox.
However I do want to tell you not to beat yourself up, you are NOT a failure. You recognize you have a problem and are trying to fix it. If you recognize you have a problem and say I don't care I'm gonna do it anyway, that would be a failure. Even if, and I do mean if, you slip up and have a drink remember to stop drinking and keep trying to quit. As long as you keep trying to better yourself you are NOT a failure.

Good luck
Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! A supervised detox is the best in my humble opinion.

Don't be afraid you will make it just fine.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that detox is different for everyone.

Is your dr recommending that you do a hospital detox? If so, then it's likely the way to go.

And, I know it's really a difficult time for your self-esteem, but you're not a failure. You have the disease of alcoholism and you are planning to take care of yourself.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've done a supervised detox and it was made easier and safer with meds. I recommend it.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My withdraw was so severe,
they discharged me after 12 days.

Some people have mild withdraw
and some people have moderate
withdraw. It depends upon your
alcohol intake and the length of
time that you have been drinking.

If you experience severe symptoms
like severe shaking, pacing, and
unbearable anxiety, do not suffer,
get to the ER immediately.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am very nervous about being away from my family and being locked up in a ward. I'm picturing it to be like the movie "one flew over the coo coo's nest" and getting paranoid. I drink half bottle of wine per night (the big bottle) for a few years give or take half a bottle. I never figured it was a problem until my therapist asked me to stop and I realized I couldn't. UGGG.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joey0530 View Post

I can't stop drinking wine.

I've made the decision to go to the Hospital and detox myself and attend programs.
hi Mary
since you say that "I can't stop drinking wine"
detox sounds like an excellent decision made on your part
from what I have seen
if followed up as you say with attendance in Programs
and possibly using the benefits of sites such as this
you should be able to stay sober -- I always say "with God's help"
M-Bob
Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You would be a failure if you do nothing about it. Good for you!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mary,
Detox is nothing like that. When you first come
in they evaluate you (Where I went you were
required to go to the hospital first), and talk
with you. They will give you medication as
needed to ease withdraw and allow you to rest.
There will be groups, occupational therapy and
individual counseling. At first they monitor
your condition almost continuously. Where I
went the food was better than restaurant
quality. They are usually staffed by RN's
that have experience in withdraw and alcoholism.
The great thing is, if you need to talk to them
at 4:00 am, they are there. I can understand
your fear.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joey0530 View Post
Thanks everyone. I am very nervous about being away from my family and being locked up in a ward. I'm picturing it to be like the movie "one flew over the coo coo's nest" and getting paranoid. I drink half bottle of wine per night (the big bottle) for a few years give or take half a bottle. I never figured it was a problem until my therapist asked me to stop and I r(ealized I couldn't. UGGG.
My drinking extent was almost exactly like yours, for the approximant same length time. I knew I had to STOP because I would add a shot of vodka so my wine would last longer. My XAH was a heavy drinker, so heavy I had to leave. I saw the effects. It's heartbreaking. I was married for 13 yrs., I know see a man who body and mind are slowly deteriorating. I was not going to leave my son with a mother who he could not be proud of, look up to, laugh and cry with. I thought "It only wine".....but things esculate very quickly.

I quit on St. Patricks of this year. I had some shakes, but not extensive. I was, and still am, very moody. I can go from one emotion to the next in a matter of minutes. I just decided to stop one morning. I knew that I had to be that GOOD example for my son. I am NOT telling you to do what I have done. If you feel you need a hospital detox or rehab they are available

I had an AH so I was worried for my child (not a physical worry, an emotional one)
Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I do want to be a good role model for my children. I'm so tired of waking up grumpy and moody and now I'm starting to drink more and loose interest in things. Tomorrow night I go to the Emergency Room and sign myself in. I am terrified but hoping I can make it through and quit. I feel like when I come home at night, the first thing I need and crave is that glass of wine which leads to more. I hate feeling like that but now I'm at the point where I need to have it or I'll go nuts! I keep telling my Husband after detox and the programs, I can have one glass of wine and learn to control it. He yelled at me and said "no you have to quit for good" I do want to but its like my brain is trying to trick me into just having one glass once in a while. I'm hoping the programs and therapy will help me. UGG I never imagined this would turn into such a big problem.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just got back (10:15 p.m.) from a band concert that my son had at school. It's a chance to share something with my child to show him I love him. Once he hits those teenage years do you think he is going to want his mom around? I think not. So I'm taking advantage of every moment that I have....and I will do it sober We will all be here when you get back so you keep us posted.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did hospital detox. I thought it was great and I was comfortable physically while there. Bring warm socks to wear. Also, the hospital that I detoxed at doesn't have a dedicated detox unit so I was mixed in with the psychiatric patients and I could not wear or bring anything with strings on them. So I would probably bring elastic waist sweats or yoga pants. You want to be comfortable. If you bring your own toiletries bring unopened ones, still sealed. No mouthwash with alcohol in it, no cologne or perfume. Magazines or a book or two to read. Pen and paper to write down your thoughts.

I have two young children and my parents cared for them while I was in. It was the BEST gift I could have given them and myself. I was only half there when I was still drinking because I was thinking about drinking, drinking,recovering from drinking so not engaged with them. I drank one of the big bottles of wine every night. Yuck.

When you are out of detox come here for support in staying sober. I also attend AA. Staying stopped is the harder part but it can be done and is being done and you can do it too.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're all behind you Mary

D