Notices

New here

Old 05-12-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi all, I'm new here (obviously). Most people who know me have no idea I have a problem - I have a great job, great kids, great husband. Unfortunately I also drink to the point of blacking out on a regular basis. I normally drink alone, but made the mistake of having a dear friend (who does not drink) over last Saturday night, and one drink became five (or six, or eight - not like I remember). I'm so ashamed. I'm trying to look at today as a new day, but it's hard not to dwell on the embarrassing/shameful/hurtful ways I've behaved when drunk, get depressed, and then turn back to drinking to feel better. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been spending time reading threads here today - it's been helpful to see I'm not as alone in this thing as I feel.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! You've come to a great place for support and understanding. Quitting drinking takes effort, but the rewards are worth it.

I'm glad you joined the family.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, LizSE, we're glad you're here!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LizSE

I found the more good, productive, fulfilling and sober days I have, the less the other days matter.

I hope I never forget them and the lesson they bring, but they're not a part of the new life I've built - y'know?

D
Old 05-12-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome LizSE. When I arrived I had it all, wife, kids, career, house, cars, boat. What I didn't have is any soul. I had lost that a while back. I didn't want to die but didn't want to live and I was utterly lost how to stop this cycle. That was eight and half months ago, which feels like eight and a half years. I have not lost it all but know without a doubt I will if I return, even once.

Don't get in the rationalization game, there is always so done worse. If you feel bad and feel like he walls of your life are closing in as a result of your addictions, your in the right place. Support early is priceless...virtual and face to face.

Welcome to the group!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Liz,

I feel very similar.... no one but my husband knows that I have a problem. When everything is fine on the surface, it's even harder to convince yourself that you do have an issue. It's still real, and it's better to fight it before it gets worse. Welcome, and we can do it!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you LizSE.

I felt so relieved when I found SR. Not being alone meant everything to me. I hope you'll find it helps to talk things over with us.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hello LizSe,

Really glad you are here. This is a fantastic bunch of people that celebrate the good and 'sit with' you during the bad.

Being here offers so much support, push back when its called for, many perspectives, many experiences...truly friends on a journey.

Tomorrow is my second week of being sober...my biggest suggestion is to lean on everyone, even if you aren't sure how or why exactly. Everyone can offer experience to help you see the forest through the trees.

Post away! Or read away! Regardless, stay away from alkehall.

Welcome!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a great place to come for support and information. I'm married with kids and a job and I drank alone too. Pretty lonely place to be. But, it can change. Welcome Liz.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is a horrific disease Liz.
You CAN beat it, many have.
I am in my 15th day of sobriety
and I know it can be a roller coaster
ride. Just hang in there.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome LizSE, SR is an excellent resource. You'll find lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Liz! My story is pretty similar to yours--there are a lot more secretly drunk mommies out there than people realize. SR has been so great and there are a lot of other good resources. I love cryingoutnow.com--lots of diverse stories of addiction and recovery.

Hang in there!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here LizSE - Do your best not to beat yourself up over what can't be undone.....just move forward. I had much guilt & shame from things done & said while I was drinking, but it gets better everyday I don't drink. Be good to yourself
Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I have found that the more comfortable and confident that I become with who the real me is, the less I cringe when I remember those embarrassing nights with the booze.