Notices

Changing tactic on counting days.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I do question the true motives behind this. I have never ever seen someone with long term sobriety post I don't want to count days. Yet I constantly read posts from people recently sober that talk about how they don't want to count days. Again, context is difficult to grasp in a post but I would question the true motives.
JDooner, what is long term sobriety to you? 3yrs? That's me, not a day counter. 5 1/2 years? That's flutter, who also posted her feelings about this. What motives are in question here in your estimation?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Grag1959, sure count away! In the very early days counting days can be a motivator. But as you acquire some serious time counting is up to you if you want. I do like the thought of it becoming detrimental to moving forward.
After 30 days I stopped counting. Now all I know is that the 28th of every month is another month, December is a year. But I don't dwell on it.
Just don't fall into that powerlessness trap. As long as you chose to not drink, you are in charge.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
JDooner, what is long term sobriety to you? 3yrs? That's me, not a day counter. 5 1/2 years? That's flutter, who also posted her feelings about this. What motives are in question here in your estimation?
I am sorry, did Flutter post a OP about not wanting to count days? In fact, have you ever seen anyone on here post an OP with >5yrs about how they don't want to count days anymore? I have not. What I have seen is many in the early phases of sobriety (myself included) post about how counting days is not helpful.

I am not saying it is or it is not. For most what I observe is a days, months, 3 months, years type of progression for the counters out there (yourself included). I also agree with other comments that the actual date of sobriety is important to be mindful of.

My personal view on longer term sobriety would be 3-5yrs

To the OP - I am not criticizing the decision to not count or to count. I am simply suggesting to be true to your self with your own motives - I was not in the early days, weeks months - I found my own mind played tricks on me. Perhaps my own experience is what has come though - but then again its the only thing I can share.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I felt wretched on the first few days , i was curled up on the floor sobbing , all hot and sweaty .. a hot tangled mess of confusion .
Each of those days felt like they were one ton weights i was hauling on just to get through .

I counted my days i was proud of my achievement .

I'd given up for good , my reasoning was , if i don't quit now and stay quit then just when will i do it ? For years i accepted i had a problem but i was unwilling to do anything about it and just carted it around like a bathtub of misery...

stand on your head , lock yourself in a cupboard , hop on one leg , count , don't count , whatever it takes .

Quit , stay quit and don't look back ..

I don't count the days anymore , the days are mostly glorious sober ones the odd one or two are stinky sober ones … i'm aware of the count i have it on my calendar once a month and use the round number as a way marker or look out point where i can take stock and be thankful .

One of my friends found greens on the calendar useful as a motivator , because day count was de-motivating when he slipped .

I think acceptance was key for me , both in being an alcoholic and also in realising i need never drink again if i didn't want to , Such a glorious dream .. one i'm living , one you can make come true too ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think counting days is good if it is helpful and motivating to stay sober. I counted days for 10 weeks and then had a one day relapse before getting back on track the next day. Before I relapsed, counting days was very important to me. I guess I'm technically on Day 3 now, but I find it's meaningless because my sense of achievement will always include those 10 weeks that I was sober before I slipped - and that's what I find helpful and motivating.