Notices

Starting day 3 today

Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting day 3 today

I have no urge to drink at the moment I have barley been able to sleep the last two nights I'm not that tired though. I have been thinking about the person I become when I drink and I can't ever remember anything I say to anyone or how I act when I drink and that's making me feel ******. I have a somewhat stressful life. Anytime I would feel lonely,stressed out,angry or feeling like nothing would change I would drink. I'm feeling a lot of different emotions today and none of them are any good. Just had to vent
Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day three was my toughest. Just get through it. Drink as much water as you can, try to stay busy. Just keep going!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The worst thing ever is not remembering what you did.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi gettingbetter.

Congrats in day 3. You poured a 6 pack out yesterday, which was great.

I think you must remember....when we use drinking as a response to every good or bad event in our life, it becomes so ingrained in everything - of course it's hard to learn new ways to cope with things.

What are you doing to make this stick? Or are you still in the phase of fighting so hard and not seeing a way out?

Surviving this takes time. It doesn't happen in 3 days, mate. When things get difficult, it's ok to feel bad. Just stick to your resolve, the reasons why you wanted to give up.

Be well.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5. It gets better. Hang in there. Post before you want the drink.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes I can't even see a way out which scares me. I once wrote down the pros and cons of drinking there was much more cons of course. Exercising and writing down what I'm feeling seems to put me in a happier state of mind.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 3. No issues yet. Been a lot more productive at work. I just don't do well on hangovers. Only hard time for me are the evenings and possibly this weekend depending on who I do things with.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Think about the inevitable devastating progression this disease takes and what it will do to your body. When I started out at 16 it was a party. In my 40's it started putting weight on me, making my stomach hurt and my skin change. All the warning signs that the body is getting sick. My conditions are slowly reversing with my sobriety. I feel I was given a second chance and I'm not going to take it for granted. Face the fact that you will never be able to moderate. Your only option is sobriety and it is SO worth it! We are here for you. Please post and not drink. I care.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, gettingbetter64. I am also on day 3 and feel exactly the same! I haven't slept the last 2 nights, tossed and turned, and finally fell asleep and woke up at 11am feeling super depressed and stressed. This must be normal, because your thread was exactly how I feel. Hopefully I can pull it together to leave my apartment and go to the gym, but not anytime soon. I'm right here with you and it sucks!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingbetter64 View Post
Sometimes I can't even see a way out which scares me. I once wrote down the pros and cons of drinking there was much more cons of course. Exercising and writing down what I'm feeling seems to put me in a happier state of mind.
There is definitely a way out. I do remember early in my sobriety I worried that everyone was over exaggerating here how good it was to get sober. They were not exaggerating. Please stick with it. Even your darkest hours sober aren't half as bad as giving up another precious day to drinking.

Some days I barely scraped through on blind faith that this sobriety thing would work. I'm glad I did.

Stick around.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate the support I know being sober is so much better then drinking. Anytime I think of anything negative that has happened in my life especially recently I feel like I earned a drink like that should be my reward. Everyone always says think positive think positive sometimes that just bothers me more. I really should be focusing on the things going right, it's just so hard sometimes.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Of course it's hard gettingbetter. You're doing it though. Those early days are very rough - be patient with yourself as you go through this. Hold on to the fact that one day you'll feel hope and happiness again. Be proud of yourself for taking this action and getting free.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was craving beer tonight because I was upset. But I told myself it wouldn't be worth it. Day 4 starts in 9 minutes lol
Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was craving beer tonight because I was upset. But I told myself it wouldn't be worth it. Day 4 starts in 9 minutes lol
Hope you are doing better today.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 3 is nearing the end for me - it has been a great day because I'm sober. I will not wake up tomorrow full of remorse and self-hatred.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

GB64 - Those first days are the toughest - the members here are right. I usually got to two days, and would fold. But, this time, I found more reasons, methods, and resources to work harder for it. It's like when you want to make a big purchase in life, so, you plan. Work harder to make more money so you can make that purchase. You educate yourself and learn more so maybe you can advance and have more cash to work with.

You want this - so it won't be easy. You have to work hard and then you reap the benefits. And the benefits are worth all the anguish we feel like we are going through when we are passing the party stores, not having a drink at a social event, not drinking because we had a good day or a bad. Some days it feels harder than any work or job we've had. But, again - as each day passes, you feel the relief. You feel stronger, and you realize, it's what you want, so you work even harder at it. And not only do you benefit, but others in your life as well!

Stay strong and be well. If there's any a reason to work hard at something, sobriety is it!

Take care of yourself! And if you have an urge, reach out before you pick up a drink.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Be strong over the weekend. I'm on day 6 and this being my first weekend sober in a long time. I'll be ok. I just keep thinking of my health and how I don't want to end up in a hospital some day. Join me for a sober weekend!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Congrats! Keep going! I'm with you all the way.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I can't even see a way out which scares me.
My head was pretty messed after 20 years drinking. I could hardly find my way anywhere much less a way out.

the more you embrace recovery, the clearer that way out will become gettignbetter - that's a promise

Have you used any of these cravings tips yet?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 05-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've read those tips before, there helpful