Notices

I'm Mad at Myself

Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Mad at Myself

Well, 10 days down the drain, I slipped into my old habits this weekend and drank... Last weekend was easier because I was staying at my parents house watching their dogs so I was out of my element so it was easier to fight the urges.

I drank Friday night and felt like crap the next day and I tried to tell myself that this is just a reminder of why drinking is terrible. But of course I went and did it again Saturday night, telling myself I can take it slow (which of course didn't happen).

During the week I'm fine but weekends, its almost like I don't know how to relax or spend my free time without drinking. I'm really disappointed in myself but I poured out all the poison I had left and I'm just going to double down my efforts now.

How do you all cope with the urges, particularly on weekends? Especially when you don't have a ton of friends like myself...
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sorry to hear it comingout, hopefully this will strengthen your resolve.

I had urges yesterday because I was outside doing yard work. I took breaks and logged on SR when I needed to get away from it. I didn't think that after 4 months the desire would still be there.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by comingoutsober View Post
How do you all cope with the urges, particularly on weekends? Especially when you don't have a ton of friends like myself...
Hi Comingoutsober!

I have a program of recovery with a support network (AA). For me, even after 18 months, the "cravings" continue to pop up.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry for your slip, but glad you're getting back on track.
Weekends are really rough for me and I've been sober over three years. Today is eating me alive. Don't know what to do with myself.
Went for a bike ride, fished for awhile and now I'm just hanging out.
Guess I'm not of much help. : /

Just want to let you know you're not alone. Maybe the weekend weirdness doesn't go away, we just have to stay occupied.
Best to you and welcome back.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally understand. I survived the weekend but it took me all I had.

I'm only on day 12, feel tired most of the time plus it's been freakin raining for a week now in Quebec. I feel depressed as hell today.

Feel like swearing the crap out of heaven. Yikes, that was not a nice thing to say.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

COS - Glad you are back here & ready to put the week-end behind you & start again. You can do this!!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by comingoutsober View Post

During the week I'm fine but weekends, its almost like I don't know how to relax or spend my free time without drinking...
I'm sure that drinking to relax or because you didn't know what to do with yourself was part of the justification. But maybe it is more serious than that. If you are determined to quit yet continually fail, perhaps you aren't addressing the problem correctly. As addiction.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I get thru the days by reminding myself of how much I have to lose if I drink. I have a clear memory of my last relapse and don't want to go there again.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really struggled on weekends at first, and could not string together 7 days for awhile because of it. What helped you the first weekend was having plans that made it easier to fight the urges. That's exactly what I had to do. The last time I woke up having messed up the night before, I picked up the phone and made plans for Fri and Sat, for the next two weekends. The change in routine really helped, enough so I made it through the third weekend alone.

Good luck!